Outside covered run bedding.

hanneke

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2010
the run of my coop has a 1/4 inch hardware cloth bottom for safety.
However I’m not sure how to cover it so the chickens won’t hurt themselves scratching.
The run is covered and I’m in Eastern Washington with a dry climate. Cold in winter, hot in summer.

I’ve done a search but did not find a comment for a similar situation.

TIA

An apron is equally safe but without the issue of chickens digging down to it and injuring their feet. Also, 1/4" isn't that strong.
Have you considered removing it and attaching a strong apron instead? That way the chickens can do whatever they will in the run in the way of digging.

Throw a sandy soil in it. Pure sand would cost you but borrowing a pickup and grabbing some clean sandy fill soil wouldn't be an issue.

Did you dig down some or is the run level with the ground around it? You may want to add some sort of barrier around the bottom of run to hold in your "bedding". It will get tossed out with digging pretty quick otherwise.

The ground underneath is very rocky. You cannot dig into it. If that’s what you mean
No. That is not what I mean. You lay an apron across the top of the ground after firmly attaching it to the run/coop then pin the opposite side with HD landscape staples. Then you can rake a little soil over the surface to just hide the cloth and plant grass and you won't even see the apron.
predator apron.jpg

No. That is not what I mean. You lay an apron across the top of the ground after firmly attaching it to the run/coop then pin the opposite side with HD landscape staples. Then you can rake a little soil over the surface to just hide the cloth and plant grass and you won't even see the apron.
Thank you. This is a great idea. Hopefully it stays put on the rocky soil. For sure nothing will grow there but that’s not that big of a deal. I can throw more rock over it.

Back
Top Bottom