1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Outside for the first time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rayb, Jul 31, 2008.

1. rayb

rayb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    We took the chicks out in the yard for the first time last night. They spent their time tugging on grass and chasing ants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking...

2. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    They are sooo cute! I have four in a cage with the mother right now and am afraid to let them out in case I can't catch them.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    How adorable is that?! Our 2 week olds have been out too. But we have a pen in the yard that they go out into, so we don't have to chase them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awwww how sweet!!!! This year we let our babies out at a really young age (1 month old) mama hen left them to fend for themselves and they have been just fine since. I recently got 2 week old brown/red cochins to add to my flock and after 30 day quarentine they went out as well. They all sleep in the garage at night because of the size difference between them and my flock outside so once they are about the same size (about another month) they will be joining the rest. The babies have a strong instinct to stay safe so mine found a nice lilac bush to hide in all day and the brown/reds took up shop in the cedar tree or under the boat & trailer. I love seeing them sooo happy running about in the yard all day everyday [​IMG]

5. Small Town Girl

Small Town Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Bexley, OH
    OMG - They are sooooooo adorable! My first chicks are scheduled to arrive next week and I am getting really excited. I can't wait to take my babies outside to play.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by