Outside nesting box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by georgannedel, Nov 12, 2011.

1. georgannedel

georgannedel Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    From what I've read I'm convinced nesting boxes with outside access are the best way to go. Since I'm a novice at building, can some explain how to build and mount one?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You should have no trouble finding methods in the coop section -- though I wouldn't have one, myself.

3. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
  4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

My nesting boxes are pretty heavy duty and made all of 2X4 lumber off the main frame. It was really easy! Check out my BYC Page to see how I did mine. There are a lot of pictures. I do not have a lift up lid-- my roof is solid, no leaks. I instead, made doors that flip out from the front. Here's a couple pics-- there are more pics that show how I put it together...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Here are a few pics of mine during construction. good luck.
    Erik

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Inside view of entrances to boxes. V shaped plywood on front is to discourage them from roosting on edge of nest boxes and pooping inside.

6. georgannedel

Nov 3, 2011
  7. georgannedel

Nov 3, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for sharing your pictures. I have coop envy, good luck envy, nesting box envy...

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I left a cantillevered extension 12 inches. My Box was made seperate from the coop and slid into the opening. I screw through the sides, top and bottom to attach it to the coop. Then I caulked all the way around the box at the connection point to the coop. This is the opening.
    [​IMG]

This is the look from inside.
    [​IMG]

And this one is from the outside look at two of the nest with the top open.
    [​IMG]
    The pullets took right to um. They played around with um for about a week before they started laying.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. georgannedel

Nov 3, 2011
    Quote:Well I managed to find your page and just love all the pictures and work you've done on your coops and runs. You've done such an awesome job - thanks no doubt to your passion for the girls and excellent carpentry skills. I hope you keep it up and continue to update your page. Everyone should view it. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by