Outside play time...are they old enough?

epona4

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Central Indiana
It's going to be in the 80s this weekend. I have some 3 week olds. If I supply them with chick grit, can I let them out on the grass? (they'll be in a wire bottomed cage) Or should they be a bit older?

I started letting mine out when they were 2 weeks old. They will be fine let them have fun. Mine stopped and didn't move an inch for about 5 mins as they didn't know what was going on. After about 5 mins they started running around and had a good ol time. Today, I take out 3 1/2 week old chicks out to their new home, the coop.

I agree that they'll be happy & healthy. At 3 weeks they've got quite a few feathers to keep them warm.

My 6-week old girls are outside right now and it's about 40 (warmer in the sun). They're happy.

Great! I'm looking forward to letting these little guys out! They will love it! I just put them in front of the window yesterday and they seem to enjoy that.

Thanks!

Took mine out yesterday at 11days old. Sun was a bit too much for them, they stayed in the shade for the picnic!

27420_dsc_0014.jpg

Mine are 3 1/2 weeks old. I put mine out last night. Highs are in the 80's and lows were upper 50's. I was worried about them but they are alive and well this morning. I am sure they will be fine.

We have had the turkeys outside on nice days and tomorrow the chicks are going out for part of the day. I do have a question about chick grit though. My yard in some places has patching grass and sand and dirt this is where I was gonna put them. Will I still need to give them grit or will they pick up what they need from the ground?

Back
Top Bottom