Outside Temps | Collecting Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wildest, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Wildest

Wildest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2015
    Colesville, NY
    What is the best or average temps to collect eggs for incubating?

I just recently ordered an incubator off of Amazon with plans to (hopefully) hatch my own chicks. The temperatures outside are fluctuating around 40-50 depending on the day. Is that still to cold to collect? My hens do not sit on their eggs at all, so by the time I go outside to collect, the eggs are already cold to the touch.

I've been reading a few different things on the subject and it is a bit confusing! So, I would like to know how you pro hatchers go about it.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Any where from just above freezing(34?) to 100 works good for me. If it is below freezing I collect 2/3 times during the day.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    As long as the egg doesn't freeze or get above 105 degrees F, you're fine. Understand that just because the temp might dip below freezing (or above 105 F) before you collect it doesn't automatically mean it isn't good. The mass of the egg itself prevents rapid temperature changes inside. The egg will crack if it froze, so even if the temp gets to freezing, as long as you collect the eggs in a timely fashion, you're fine.

On an aside note, if you're planning to hatch your own eggs, you have a plan for how you're going to deal with the extra cockerels, yes?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. Wildest

Wildest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2015
    Colesville, NY
    Thank you for the answers! I figured eggs had to be fairly hardy but how hardy, I just didn't know.

As for the extra cockerels, we are in contact with our local co-op. They buy cockerels (and pullets) off of customers for a small amount of money. Some go to homes, some (I'm guessing) become dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by