Oval egg, midline pip - HELP!!

SarahIrl

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
West Cork, Ireland
I have an oval egg, couldn't tell air sac until candling. It now has a nice large pip in the middle of the egg and is rocking all over. How long do I wait before intervention? I swore I wouldn't assist this time but they are VERY special eggs.

idunno.gif

Ok, am assisting. Really didn't want to though. It's a tiny egg, and was candling with a very large air cell day 17. Humidity been a bit of an issue. Have removed shell from around pip until I found the beak, enlarged the gap in the membrane for it to breathe and am now just waiting. It's wrapped in damp paper towels in the bator. Will give it a couple of hours, and see if it needs more help. I hate doing this. It's a right noisy one too!

Good luck with your baby, Sarah. We wanna see pics later, ok? I'll try and check back on this feed, got my first pip on my quail eggs a few mins ago, tho. Will probably be running back and forth to look through the window.
roll.png
Can't help myself.
fl.gif

Well it's out. Tint tiny little thing, but no as small as pippin I don't think. It's fully absorbed the yolk, and just a tiny spot of blood on it's navel (as I had to hatch it over three hours) but it's curled up in it's embryonic position in the incubator keeping warm. Will leave it in as long as I can, as I have more hatching. It must be one of the smallest chicks I have ever seen!! Beautiful little silver laced brahma.

jumpy.gif

edit: it was upside down in the egg. Found out when I got it's beak free. No idea if it could ave hatched on it's own.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your baby. My chicks and ducks hatched out Saturday: the duckling with the air cell on the side is super tiny and fragile (but not as tiny as Pippin LOL). We have it's legs and feet taped because it has curled toes and can't walk and are praying that it will be okay. We ended up having to assist with all but one of them hatching because of humidity issues, and I hope I never go through such an ordeal again! Good luck to you.

It's doing fine this morning anyway! Got all four brahmas and three orps out, just two orps left. I went in the kitchen this morning to see my 2 yr old with an egg in each hand, a coffee cup, a baseball hat and puffed rice in a bowl all put into the brooder. 'They hungry, mommy, and they want toys.' How can you argue with that?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom