Over achiever Rooster

candycar

Songster
15 Years
Feb 17, 2009
Catlettsburg KY
I have a REALLY Nice 1 year old roo (Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded D'Uccle). His only problem is he is over pecking the hens heads. I only have 3 hens and 2 young pullets. The 3 hens are becoming bald from his attentions. They submit but still get head beat. I fear for the young pullets (7wks).
How old before roos become gentlemen? He is very good in every other way, just too aggressive when mating.
Do I need to rehome him to a bigger flock? I can't increase my numbers because of limited space.
dad1.jpg

The problem is his technique. Whether that will improve over time can't be predicted. Since he's only a year old, there's a better than even chance he will learn over time to grab lower on the neck instead of the top of the head where it's harder on the feathers.

I would segregate him from the hens for a while until his hormones quiet down a bit, and perhaps he'll forget his bad habit of grabbing the head feathers.

The problem is his technique. Whether that will improve over time can't be predicted. Since he's only a year old, there's a better than even chance he will learn over time to grab lower on the neck instead of the top of the head where it's harder on the feathers.

I would segregate him from the hens for a while until his hormones quiet down a bit, and perhaps he'll forget his bad habit of grabbing the head feathers.
He has been at my BILs house on vacation for over a week now. How long do you think he should stay?
I miss his wake up call that lets me know everyone is OK. And it's too quiet now! On the plus side, the hens are happy and less stressed.

It's like he's going to college to be a gentleman roo. The rough edges usually take until a cockerel is 12 to 18 months old to smooth over. Some take until they're two years old to mellow.

The advantage of him returning in a few months will be that he will be junior in rank among the hens and that should further keep him mellowed.

Back
Top Bottom