Over due eggs float test

sammark

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
NEWCASTLE. ENGLAND

Hi can anyone tell me if this egg is alive or if the gosling is dead, I did the float test on 4 eggs 3 looked like this & 1 floated slightly higher not touching the bottom. All of the eggs are overdue and there's no sign or internal pipping.

Hi - the float test is a myth I'm afraid. All it tells you is the air cell has enlarged and the same can be true for an aged infertile egg.

The ONLY benefit (and we don't advocate float testing) is eggs containing a live gosling will 'bob', 'twitch' or make minor ripples in the water. It would be better to invest a few pounds in a pen torch and then in a dark area shine the torch into the aircell end of the egg. You may be able to see blood vessels which confirm life and moving shadows would confirm internal pipping is approaching or indeed already happened.

The hatching and incubation thread has illustrated details how to do this and you can use it as a reference.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Pete
wink.png

I didn't see alot of movement if at all any but the eggs weren't in the water very long, I have candled the eggs using a 9 led torch and can see nothing in the air sack no signs of a pip, do any of you know what date the eggs will hatch at the latest? Cos i can leave them in and only remove them when theres no chance of a hatch. Thanks for your posts

If there's no signs of hatching by day 35 then its safe to conclude they're not going to hatch.

What was your temperature and humidity and what kind of incubator?

Also what size and shape where the aircells?

As I said check the diagrams on the Incubation Guide so you can compare.

Pete

They are day 35 today so I'm guessing they're not going to hatch :( the temp was 37 and the humidity went up and down. I was putting in a damp sponge in after day 14 but was told to remove it - Thanks for all your posts.

Such a shame, I honestly have no luck, I went to college this morning and the electric tripped while i was there and i had another 2 eggs on day 28 in an incubator, when i got in the eggs were cold the electric has been off for 2 hours. The gosling in one of the eggs was moving yesterday - totally devistated. Does anyone think it could have survived?? I'm not holding out much hope I know the eggs can be left up to an hour but 2. Gutted :((

If they're healthy and on Day 28 then the cooling will not have done any harm at all. Parent geese often leave their eggs for long periods towards the end of incubation.

Try to relax and observe/listen for signs of internal pipping.

Best of luck

Thanks Pete, for whatever reason it didn't make it, we cracked the egg after it was due and it was dead inside poor little thing, it was a fully formed gosling, all feathered, had a beautiful little beak with pipping tooth & lovely little feet, I know it could have made it. Just don't know where I'm going wrong, I already have a sebastopol gander he's 6weeks now and 2 toulouse girls who are 2 weeks, I wanted to pair the Seb up with a seb goose but to be honest until I'm confident I can hatch I'm not going to put another bird through it so I'm looking to buy a goose. Thankyou all for your help and support :)

Back
Top Bottom