Over Easy Pre Fab Coops, Amish made,any good ?

The coop floor is roughly 4 feet by 6 feet. Which is 24 square feet. With an additional 42 square feet of full access run. Plus being let out to full access to my three acre backyard. Almost every evening. So the numbers I stated are what I feel is sufficient for my flock. Which even if you push the limit to 7 large fowl. Each bird has almost 9.5 square feet of total space. Which is pretty close to the recommended allowed space per bird.
Those general recommendations are if you have to coop your birds full time. Mine only use the coop to lay eggs and roost. Otherwise they are in their spacious run or out in the yard living their best life.
I've found the over-ez coops are the best manufactured coops since they are made out of genuine wood (actual 2×4s etc) and not like the prefabs most think about when they picture a manufactured coop.

My large coop claims 12 to 15 LF if I remember correctly.
My coop is 22.5 square feet and I currently have 8 LF Pullets in mine.
My 7 Barred Rocks lived there comfortably.
20200120_093333_resized.jpg

I do open pop door at 5 am daily till sunset.
I also have only 3 square feet ventilation with both windows open "4" with pop door open. I've never left both windows open during winter, see previous post. The trick is upper vents and lower ventilation "window" on wall opposite roosts. Lowest temps were 7 below Fahrenheit during 3 winters.

As far as recommended square feet in coop and pen, this is what Purina recommend in their book First egg to retirement available as a download on Purinamills.com.
20210708_062203_resized.jpg
20210708_062127_resized.jpg

Now if you keep chickens inside coop during daylight, "even for a few hours" then 4 square feet per chicken minimum is what I would suggest.
I had to keep my 7 Barred Rocks inside coop once during a Noreaster blizzard, no problems for that one day. GC
ETA; If you get Red sex-links then I recommend 2 nests per 4 sex-links based on my experience they all lay within a couple of hours after sunrise.

Last edited:
My large claims 12 to 15 LF if I remember correctly.
My 7 Barred Rocks lived comfortably.View attachment 2789932
I also have only 3 square feet ventilation with both windows open "4" with pop door open. I've never left both windows open during winter, see previous post. The trick is upper vents and lower ventilation "window" on wall opposite roosts. Lowest temps were 7 below Fahrenheit during 3 winters.

As far as recommended square feet in coop and pen, this is what Purina recommend in their book First egg to retirement available as a download on Purinamills.com.View attachment 2789944View attachment 2789945
Now if you keep chickens inside coop during daylight, "even for a few hours" then 4 square feet per chicken minimum is what I would suggest.
I had to keep my 7 Barred Rocks inside coop once during a Noreaster blizzard, no problems for that one day. GC

We backyarders ought to do better for our birds than the minimums required for commercial flocks.

The numbers referenced in the usual guidelines come from poultry science before the advent of forced mechanical ventilation, the breeding of birds specifically to tolerate close confinement, and the widespread practice of debeaking to prevent cannibalism.

They are, of course, *guidelines*, not hard-and-fast rules -- I myself have 5 hens in a coop intended for 5 thanks to a vastly-oversized run and a mild climate where they never need to be cooped during the day (I opened the pop door and allowed them to choose whether to be in or out during tropical storms last year).

But lack of space is probably the number one cause of behavioral problems asked about on these forums and lack of ventilation is a major cause of illness in every species, including humans. :)

We backyarders ought to do better for our birds than the minimums required for commercial flocks.
That book written by Purina is for backyard chicken keeping.
But lack of space is probably the number one cause of behavioral problems
I agree that's why I let them out before sunrise.
I also think 8 square feet per chicken of outside space is minimal. 25 square feet minimum per LF is what I have. GC

But the numbers given are based on the commercial legal minimums, not best practice for backyarders.
Is that really commercial "legal" limits? Maybe caged chickens have 12" of space per bird? I guess that doesn't seem like much if you cram as many as you can in there. I mean the definition of free range by commercial standards is laughable. As long as they have access to the outdoors, its considered free range. Have you seen the access? If the poultry house allows their birds to run around in the coop vs being caged its considered cage free. Ha. Ok - Marketing gimmicks vs realism.
By commercial guidelines a backyard bird would be considered free range if a bird has a run/pen and "access to the outside". However, by backyard birder standards free range means not being penned.
I think if we strictly go by commercial standards and compare it to the backyard chicken keeping practices - even if the measurements aren't exact - you would find that backyard birds fair very well compared to the commercial birds. I know by reading all the threads here most do better and far exceed commercial standards in one way or the other.

My large claims 12 to 15 LF if I remember correctly.
My 7 Barred Rocks lived comfortably.View attachment 2789932

As far as recommended square feet in coop and pen, this is what Purina recommend in their book First egg to retirement available as a download on Purinamills.com.View attachment 2789944View attachment 2789945
That book written by Purina is for backyard chicken keeping.

I agree that's why I let them out before sunrise.
I also think 8 square feet per chicken of outside space is minimal. 25 square feet minimum per LF is what I have. GC

The numbers referenced in the usual guidelines come from poultry science before the advent of forced mechanical ventilation, the breeding of birds specifically to tolerate close confinement, and the widespread practice of debeaking to prevent cannibalism.

They are, of course, *guidelines*, not hard-and-fast rules -- I myself have 5 hens in a coop intended for 5 thanks to a vastly-oversized run and a mild climate where they never need to be cooped during the day (I opened the pop door and allowed them to choose whether to be in or out during tropical storms last year).

But lack of space is probably the number one cause of behavioral problems asked about on these forums and lack of ventilation is a major cause of illness in every species, including humans. :)
But the numbers given are based on the commercial legal minimums, not best practice for backyarders.

In all the pictures posted on this thread. I did not see any signs of the chickens picking at each other. Plus none of them have been debeaked. Everyone is saying and showing that they are ventilating their coops. I can’t speak for everyone, but for myself. I have a lot of time, energy and resources wrapped up in my chickens . I do not have low grade, hatchery quality chickens. That I can just run to the nearest farm and home store to replace. I have in some cases, decades of selective breeding to get my chickens to where they are. They are not all show quality, but they are all as true to breed in color, pattern, size, etc. As they can be. I live in a high predator concentration area. So keeping my chickens contained for part of the day is part of keeping them alive. Otherwise the area that they can roam is measured in acres. When choosing proper housing for my chickens. I don’t just go by measured square footage. I go by the actions, behavior and appearance of my chickens. Which it seems the others who posted do also. To determine proper space, nutrition and preventive care needs. As any good caregiver should!

Back
Top Bottom