Over feeding

Tina73

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2016
I have a 7 week old in a cage inside my house trying to help her heal, not sure if it's her leg or back. Can I be over feeding her??? Does she need to be on a feeding schedule ?

My friend's friend feeds his like once or twice a day because apparently they free range and they cant put it in the coop and the ducks and wildlife will eat it if they leave it out. Plus according to them they will eat the food all at once and kill themselves because apparently chickens are stupid and eat till they die. I've never been over there but personally I think it's bull and actually rather cruel. Mine have 2 fairly large bowls/pans full of food at all times and it takes them usually anywhere from a few days to a week or more to go through it all. I have 8 chickens and they don't even free range most days, they're just penned, and they don't even go near the food all day unless they are hungry. They try to find goodies in the pen (which I'm pretty sure there are none) or they dust bathe, fly on the roof or the branch roost in the run, get a drink, lay eggs, etc. They do notnover eat so I find my friend's story hard to believe. And in fact I would venture to say they eat the whole pan when it is set down BECAUSE it is limited and a new thing. Mine do they same over treats and when I refill water, etc. It's new to them. Plus they are probably really hungry. Also from what I've seen on here lot of people have problems with other birds eating other birds food or chickens eating goat food, goats eating chicken food, etc. But that doesn't mean you starve your animals. He could even buy all flock so that it wouldn't matter if the ducks ate it or not. In fact, I should suggest all this to them but I won't. They'll insist they're right anyway. I did say the thing how they won't overeat and that mine don't once and was met with "yeah well Brian's do" imo its because they're starving but whatever. Anyhow, he's moving and getting rid of the ducks and his rooster anyway so doesn't really matter much now. But he also doesn't collect eggs sometimes for days at a time or like ever and throws them away because they're his so his family doesn't collect them and he's "busy" or "forgets" or whatever and also only has them as pets not eggs sooooo. And several have been eaten by coyotes but that's normal with free range birds. Anyway, I make him sound terrible but really he's really nice and all but just I semi feel bad for the chickens
1f602.png
anyway, I know this has nothing to do with your question but I just figured since it is about over eating I'd take advantage of the opportunity to rant about this. Sorry for hijacking. Anyhow, like others said, it is nearly impossible to overfeed and in fact taking food away will be more likely to overeat since it's not there. It's like with the people that free feed dogs, most when switching to free fed or even scheduled but not taking it away right away will eat it all at once for a while until they realize the food is there all the time then they just go eat when they're hungry. of course it only works with certain dogs, most labs wouls devour the whole bowl every time no matter how long you've free fed, but same principle with chickens

I can't really speak to any issues with cross species feed, but over feeding can be a real issue for chickens. But, ONLY, for meat specific hybrids. They will absolutely overeat to the point that they will overgrow, cause leg damage, and even heart attacks. I repeat, this is only (typically) for meat breeds. Layers, heritage, and dual purpose, don't have this problem. Your friend may be totally legit when he says he must restrict feed.

My friend's friend feeds his like once or twice a day because apparently they free range and they cant put it in the coop and the ducks and wildlife will eat it if they leave it out. Plus according to them they will eat the food all at once and kill themselves because apparently chickens are stupid and eat till they die. I've never been over there but personally I think it's bull and actually rather cruel. Mine have 2 fairly large bowls/pans full of food at all times and it takes them usually anywhere from a few days to a week or more to go through it all. I have 8 chickens and they don't even free range most days, they're just penned, and they don't even go near the food all day unless they are hungry. They try to find goodies in the pen (which I'm pretty sure there are none) or they dust bathe, fly on the roof or the branch roost in the run, get a drink, lay eggs, etc. They do notnover eat so I find my friend's story hard to believe. And in fact I would venture to say they eat the whole pan when it is set down BECAUSE it is limited and a new thing. Mine do they same over treats and when I refill water, etc. It's new to them. Plus they are probably really hungry. Also from what I've seen on here lot of people have problems with other birds eating other birds food or chickens eating goat food, goats eating chicken food, etc. But that doesn't mean you starve your animals. He could even buy all flock so that it wouldn't matter if the ducks ate it or not. In fact, I should suggest all this to them but I won't. They'll insist they're right anyway. I did say the thing how they won't overeat and that mine don't once and was met with "yeah well Brian's do" imo its because they're starving but whatever. Anyhow, he's moving and getting rid of the ducks and his rooster anyway so doesn't really matter much now. But he also doesn't collect eggs sometimes for days at a time or like ever and throws them away because they're his so his family doesn't collect them and he's "busy" or "forgets" or whatever and also only has them as pets not eggs sooooo. And several have been eaten by coyotes but that's normal with free range birds. Anyway, I make him sound terrible but really he's really nice and all but just I semi feel bad for the chickens
1f602.png
anyway, I know this has nothing to do with your question but I just figured since it is about over eating I'd take advantage of the opportunity to rant about this. Sorry for hijacking. Anyhow, like others said, it is nearly impossible to overfeed and in fact taking food away will be more likely to overeat since it's not there. It's like with the people that free feed dogs, most when switching to free fed or even scheduled but not taking it away right away will eat it all at once for a while until they realize the food is there all the time then they just go eat when they're hungry. of course it only works with certain dogs, most labs wouls devour the whole bowl every time no matter how long you've free fed, but same principle with chickens

Your friends friends chickens are probably getting underfed. When he does put the feed out theyre probably so hungry they are eating to fast and choking to death. I guess he could see that as over eating and killing themselves.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. I have her (Blanche) inside in a box because she can't walk and I didn't know if she needs fed in front of her constantly. She can move her legs a little but can't stand up she can't even almost stand up. But I don't think her legs are broken..very sad.

1f602.png

Not possible.
Thanks for the help everyone. I have her (Blanche) inside in a box because she can't walk and I didn't know if she needs fed in front of her constantly. She can move her legs a little but can't stand up she can't even almost stand up. But I don't think her legs are broken..very sad.

Could she have Marek's?
If she can't stand, she needs the food and water right in front of her.

If she can't stand, but there's no obvious physical damage, it's probably time to try dropper feeding if you're committed. Syringe or tube feeding can be a long term thing though.

If she'll eat by you just dropping food in her mouth, good. Otherwise, you can try searching cross-beak or tube feeding on the forums and it may give you some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom