Over-Grown Hobby Led to Career

Feb 26, 2024
I first joined the BYC forum as a child and had my mother overlook the vast majority of my posts. I’ve had chickens since I was 6, nearly 20 years ago. I first joined BYC when it was being hosted on its original platform, as a child and had my mother review the majority of my responses. I started with 6 chickens, peaked at 750 birds across a mixed species flock in highschool. Went to college for poultry and work adjacent to the poultry industry. I have a small flock of 9 chickens and a varying amount of Coturnix Quail presently.

My flock begun with 6 chickens that were a gift from a neighbor who moved to another state. One of the hens, a Speckled Sussex named Sweetheart went broody late winter and hatched one chick out of 13 eggs. After much pleading with my parents I was permitted to bring her inside. For the first 8 weeks of Echo’s life, I was her flock.

I became involved in 4-H and FFA, and developed an interest in the largest breed, the Jersey Giants. My first time showing was disappointing, the hatchery birds were half the size they should have been, and the following year I sought out an exhibition breeder though was unable to get them early enough which led to my first big purchase of a RedWood Incubator with nearly three years of prizes, and allowances going into it.

I developed an interest in genetics furthered through my Birmingham Roller Pigeons and picked up Parlor Rollers and Tumblers along the way. My flock contracted a less virulent and atypically presenting strain of Infectious Laryngotracheitis. The state gave me two options and I chose to euthanize my flock, losing 130 birds, and begin anew. Fortunately, my pigeons were not vectors.

I applied what I had learned, cleaned and disinfected thoroughly and started over with White Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshires and Salmon Faverolle bantams the following years. I selected subsequent generations for the dual purpose traits, many breeds were initially bred for, and that I feel are overlooked in exhibition pens. And breed for type among my hatchery- production based White Plymouth Rocks. I began to bring in birds from other sources to raise and sell.

At my peak, I had 750 birds. My chickens paid for themselves, some schooling and opened the door for a number of scholarships. While I was unable to convince my parents to deal with my breeders and the subsequent lines I wanted to bring in. My mother has carried part of my overgrown hobby forward into HAVEN Hens.

While I no longer raise birds as I was able to, I am adoring my Coturnix Quail, one type of fowl my mother said no to. Hoping to get acreage so I can get back into the hobby.

Enjoy some older pictures of my 2022-2024 Flock and Quail.

Attachments

• 20230504_163842.jpg
    20230504_163842.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220522_144555 (1).jpg
    20220522_144555 (1).jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Group Image 2023.1.jpg
    Group Image 2023.1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to BYC it’s great to have you here!
I love my coturnix as well they are just the best I wouldn’t have wanted to start my poultry hobby any other way.
Thank you, I wish I got to have the Coturnix Quail earlier, they've been a delight.

I have a dozen Bobwhites that I've started with the first set this year as well.

Hiya, and welcome back to BYC!! :frow Great story except for the part about having to euthanize 130 birds. That had to be hard. Glad you're getting back into it again!
Thank you, it is not something I care to repeat. I've gotten strict about where my birds are from, and am especially wary about shows and swaps now.

Fortunately, it wasn't a total loss, my parents and I processed the majority besides the Seramas and 6-week-olds. We had a bad experience with cervical dislocation the first time we tried processing birds a year into chicken keeping which put us largely off of doing so ourselves for several years.

I'm planning on 125 quail for myself and my family would like to do 100-150 broilers this year as they aren't intending on rearing pigs.

Back
Top Bottom