Over mated??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenjen, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jenjen

jenjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon House, Ca.
    I have 10 hens and one roo. I have one hen who has lost her back feathers and neck feathers. I assume it's not mites since she is the only one who looks this way. She looks like a typical "over mated" chicken. BUT,,,,,, yesterday I noticed when she was taking a phoo that all her feathers are missing around her butt too. Is this normal for an over mated chicken or should I be concerned???

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:She may be your rooster's favorite, so he's constantly mating her and wearing down her feathers. A chicken saddle should help protect her and allow her feathers to grow back. She may also just be the low lady on the totem poll and the brunt of everyone's aggressions. She may be too passive to fight back.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would still check her over for lice/mites.

4. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Check her well for mites, just to be sure.

Like the others said, she definitely may be the roo's favorite, and her feathers are just worn down. She may be lowest in the pecking order (pun intended), and everyone may pick on her.

5. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Check everyone for mites just to be on the safe side, but it does sound like roo's got his favorite girl picked out of the flock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by