Over-mating rooster and hens losing too many feathers

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
I've read through a lot of posts over the past months to try and deal with our flock management. We have a silver cuckoo marans rooster who is about 14 months old. He is with the main flock where there are four hens of his same age, and another five who are 9 months old, and four who are just 3 months. It started with the original group showing signs of over-mating, losing feathers on their backs. During the winter just one hen kept laying and she was the worst. Since spring the next younger group have been getting the same, and the original group are all in bad shape for feather loss on their backs as well as their shoulders.

We used saddles in early spring for two months. It helped with slight feather regrowth, but they weren't able to dust bathe properly. We took them off after two months (how long do people normally use them?) It got hot, and we ended up with a flock infestation of poultry lice shortly after that, worst with the broody hen who had adopted two chicks, and one chick was badly infested. We treated the lice with prymethrin spray, and it seems under control now. Feather loss however is worse than ever. Hens all seemed more comfortable immediately after treatment, and continue to be lice free on inspection.

There have been additions to the flock of course, and we also sold off five of the chicks we hatched in the spring. Our initial group had a second rooster the same age as the flock rooster. They went from best friends to mortal enemies, and we found a new home for the snowy easter egger rooster. In retrospect I wish I could go back and switch! We worry the marans roo is too heavy, and that this exacerbates the problem with over mating. He isn't mean to the hens, and he is a great flock guard always on the look out for eagles and ground predators, so he's keeping everyone safe in one way, but he's impacting their heath by mating far too frequently.

When we first removed the aprons, one of the hens ran around feather picking and eating on the others as well. Ugh. We think it was just the novelty of it, and I haven't seen the behavior since, but it was a huge bummer. I've upped protein snacks for the flock, and there is also a lot of chick starter freely available since we have multi age groups, as well as their layer food and an extra feeder of grit and oyster shell.

Do I need to replace this rooster? Is there something else we can do?

Yes. You can segregate him. At least for most of the day.

A partitioned run serves well for this purpose. I do that sometimes. My two roosters often hang out in the "jail" pen in the run for much of the day, usually in deep winter when it's unpleasant outside.

In summer, my roosters hang out outside the run, quite content to dig in the compost or dirt bathe or scratch in the weeds when they don't have their beaks pressed up against the glass sides of the run watching the girls. Everyone gets free range time for a couple hours most days in summer.

It helps.

Does he have his favourite hens and they are the worst?

I'd watch them carefully and see if you haven't got a bigger pecking/plucking problem from other hens than you thought.

I'd also rehome/remove this rooster. A billion other roosters who don't overtread hens are out there looking for a new home.

Does he have his favourite hens and they are the worst?

I'd watch them carefully and see if you haven't got a bigger pecking/plucking problem from other hens than you thought.

I'd also rehome/remove this rooster. A billion other roosters who don't overtread hens are out there looking for a new home.
I'm vegetarian bordering on vegan but mainly for health reasons (struggle to digest meat and slightly intolerant to milk) But I like the not eating other animals aswell especially when they have probably been mistreated by mass production farmers I will even cook meat for others and some of my family are farmers and breed sheep but they have a good life, I Lso won't eat shop eggs as 3ven free range commercial eggs are not really free range as we its done on here but love eggs and enjoy keeping chickens so the eggs are a happy bonus you can't hatch them all, But that doesn't mean I don't understand the need for culling, we have a responsibility to our feathered friends to keep them as healthy , happy & safe as possable. As distacefull and unpleasant as it may be sometimes culling is the only way to ensure all the flock are happy, if it's causing injury to other chickens even if or especially if accidentally through its compulsion mate often and enthusiastically then unfortunately I'd seriously consider youthanising it . I couldn't in good consciousness pass the problem on to others chicalian has the right of it unfortunately, and sometimes it's the only justifiable solution.

Yeah, we've been struggling with the idea of where he goes next. He's been a family favorite. We have good choices for replacing him hopefully by next year, but with the predator pressure around here I don't want to leave the flock without an adult rooster until then.

He does have favorites who are in worse shape than others. I watch them a lot, and other than the few days when the aprons came off, I don't think I have a feather picker. I have three mobile coops (Eglu) with attached runs. And I have three sections of mobile fencing which so far I have used to make one large area. One of the coops has 9 week old silver laced barnevelder chicks and will be for them as a separate group going forward.

I think I would have a rough time fencing him separately part of the time, if he crows all day it won't be a good solution. But I can give it a try. One of his good qualities, he is great with young chicks. He shows no aggression towards them, and he makes sure he knows where they are and herds them to a safe place if he's worried about an eagle or something. I might try putting him just with young birds so he still has someone to protect, but no one to mate with.

I've sworn I won't do a bachelor flock... but I might need to think about how that would work in the short term.

And wait until your hens go through the molt this fall. They will look terrible, but then the new feathers are often more resistant. Your roo may improve his technique as he will be a little older, especially if you trim his feet up.

Look and see how your hens act with him. Barebacked hens tend to bother people more than they bother chickens. If the girls still love him, I would only hatch from the birds with the least damage (sometimes it is feather quality from the hen that is the fault) and ignore the rest.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom