Over my head

The one duck and five hens have been together for a year in a tiny coop. We purchased another duck and hens about five months ago and just integrated them into the flock after building the larger coop about a month ago. Hadn't had any issues until this last week with the exception of the girl with the obstruction in her crop. So frustrating..
The new flockmates might have brought some pathogens to your flock.

Did you quarantine them poperly for 4 weeks far away from your flock prior to adding them?

Did the new duck come with the new chickens or did you purchase the new duck somewhere else?

The new flockmates might have brought some pathogens to your flock.

Did you quarantine them poperly for 4 weeks far away from your flock prior to adding them?

Did the new duck come with the new chickens or did you purchase the new duck somewhere else?
All at the same time.

Vet just called with the results of the fecal. He says they have coccidiosis. I have no words right now... He is recommending Corid high dose for 5 days then low dose for 10 days. I know corid is the standard treatment, but I believe there is another medication that has proven more effective. Any idea what it is so I can ask him about it.

Most effective is a drug called toltrazuril which actually kills coccidia...Corid and sulfadimethoxine set it back until the chicken's immune system can catch up and fight it off. You can get toltrazuril in a powdered form called Endocox at Jedd's Bird Supply (maybe other places, but that's where I found it.) I know about toltrazuril from the dog show/breeding world, where it has revolutionized puppy raising with respect to coccidiosis and was very happy to find it can be used in chickens as well.
Can this be given along with poultry cell? My girl with the crop issue gets 1ml poultry cell daily to assist with vitamin deficiency?

I should add I didn't mean to imply that LaFleche's answer was incorrect, or not good advice! I do believe that sulfadimethoxine is more effective than Corid, but when it's a bad outbreak and lives are at stake, I personally prefer to kill the danged coccidia rather than just "handicap" it, though in normal coccidiosis management handicapping coccidia while the birds develop resistance is a good plan!

LaFleche is right...coccidia is everywhere and you can't sterilize the soil or anything else against it; you can only treat it as chickens grow up enough to develop resistance.

Back
Top Bottom