Over-Ripe Yellow Squash - Safe to feed?

Does it even make sense to call it over ripe?

It is past where summer squash usually get harvested, but certainly not past the point that winter squash get harvested. Summer and winter squash are often the same species anyway, just harvested at different points.

Yes, I would be inclined to try cooking some of them for people too :)
These are summer squash and when overripe, they get a bitter taste. I’ve never given my chickens any kind of squash except a pie pumpkin last year, soI just wanted to double check and make sure they were okay.

Does it even make sense to call it over ripe?

It is past where summer squash usually get harvested, but certainly not past the point that winter squash get harvested. Summer and winter squash are often the same species anyway, just harvested at different points.

Yes, I would be inclined to try cooking some of them for people too :)
Maybe they're squishy? But orange yellow squash is fine

These are summer squash and when overripe, they get a bitter taste. I’ve never given my chickens any kind of squash except a pie pumpkin last year, soI just wanted to double check and make sure they were okay.
Bitter taste? I haven't heard of that before.

I would probably cut one open, offer it to the chickens, and see what they think. Squash is usually fine, and chickens are usually a good judge of what is safe for them to eat, so if they do eat the squash it should not be a problem. If they do not eat it, then maybe there is something odd about that particular squash, and composting it would make more sense.

They’re really tough, but I got a few cut open. Still good to feed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 3
Those look more like some kind of gourd than a normal yellow summer squash.

I say again, I’d nuke it for 2 minutes to soften it up. But no reason not to feed.

I don’t know how much of it your birds will eat, but it won’t hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom