Over-use of cologne/perfume in the workplace

I asked my allergist about this topic years ago and he explained that people that "over use" perfumes/colognes have a less sensitive sense of smell than most people with allergies do. Hence, they are often just not aware of how strong the scent can be to others around them.

I wear one perfume (Mania by Armani which I take tongue in cheek delight in the name every time I spritz myself with it
lol.png
) on occasion and I have found if I spray it one time and "walk into the spray" that I can tolerate it - and in fact enjoy it - myself without any adverse reactions. But if I spray more than once directly onto my body or clothes I end up wheezing all day long
hmm.png

Last edited:
I am not even allergic to perfumes or other harsh smells, no asthma, never had a migraine, but perfumes & other strong smells ( gasoline, ammonia, bleach, solvents, etc..) highly offend me, cause me breathing difficulty and burn my nose, eyes & throat. I cough & gag when these smells hit me like a brick. People drenched in perfume I want to SMACK upside the head! And I am not allergic. So what does that tell you?
sickbyc.gif
smack.gif

Had DD's belt test today and the owner was burning a (crappy IMO see brag on my preferred brand) vanilla candle. Even standing outside the open door, with the wind blowing, it STILL got my nose burning (makes me picture my nose hair on fire donno about y'all) and had my head throbbing. Went next door to Creative Hands (awesome place mentioned elsewhere) and Miss D let me unclog my nose and offered some headache relief. Love those ladies over there. Anywho, point is this is supposed to be a business, and not only just any business but a GYM for crying out loud where people huff and puff and sweat and you've got vanilla going?
roll.png

Didn't say anything of course... she'd been on the phone with her Sis's caregiver, having severe issues I won't go into, and she was very upset... wouldn't compound that with a complaint... but it was very annoying that I had to watch my DD's belt test from OUTSIDE the studio.

Wow! I am soooooo glad to read this thread. I am always the only oddball in the bunch that objects to strong smells. I am feeling that I am blessed in that I don't get migraines or my breathing doesn't shut down like some of you and my heart goes out to you. But if you know what your foot feels like when circulation is cut off and it "goes to sleep" that tingling feeling? My face, throat and tongue light up like a Christmas tree and I choke on what everyone else around me thinks smells good. I use absolutely NO scented products in my home and certainly NEVER any room fresheners. My mantra is, if it states not to get the said product on your skin or not to eat or drink it, then WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SUCK IT DEEP IN YOUR LUNGS?????? It just goes to show you, people are stupid. I can't walk down the soap aisle at the store for the overpowering stench. I hold my breath, run and search frantically for something unscented, then run for clearer air while my face is turning purple.
gig.gif

At work, I am a purchaser for a garbage company and since the smells there can get a bit rough, the ladies in the front office are "offended" by the smell of money and sometimes soak their workspace in "fresh" smells. Oh Lord, give me the back end of a garbage truck anyday as a preferrable assault on my nostrils. I hate walking into the front office. In my office, parts room and general area, I have to deal with diesel fumes, oils, solvents, and an assortment of smells. At least the mechanics are sympathetic to me and don't bring stuff directly into my office. Our boss's wife drenches his clothing in everything she can find that promises the sensory smell of a "fresh mountain breeze, flower garden, clean and fresh, springtime" and whatever else chemical concoctions stupid people are duped into buying. To me, he smells like a chemical dump and I know he is in the building without even turning around.
barnie.gif

Thank you, thank you for starting this thread. I am made fun of repeatedly because I just don't get it that "this smells good". I am so glad to find out that I am not the only one whose nose can't stand the smell of manufactured smells and odors. Dirt, manure, woodsmoke, pine trees, and yes the roses, REAL roses is what I like.

Back
Top Bottom