Overcrowding, moulting or mites

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So i have a cage that is around 11ft x 7.5ft which comes in around 82sq ft. This should be enough for around 10 birds. The coop where they roost at night is raised on 4 legs and does not occupy the 82sq ft ground space.

According to my understanding, each bird needs around 8sq ft of space to roam around freely. However in the case of my cage, i have 18 birds in the cage. This is a bit overcrowded, but is this the cause of the pecking of feathers as seen in the pics below ? or could the the hens be moulting / infested with mites ?

The confusing thing is that other hens seem to be OK, it is just the buff Sussex hens (around 7) that are missing feathers and they all are around 2 years old (Other youner hens being around 1 year to 9 months seem to be fine)

Attachments

• hen3.JPG
    hen3.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 50
  • hen2.JPG
    hen2.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 6
  • hen1.JPG
    hen1.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 6
You’d need to check them over to see if they are moulting or have mites. I’m not very familiar with imperial measurements but I googled the conversion and I think 18 birds in that amount of space is way too many.

You’d need to check them over to see if they are moulting or have mites. I’m not very familiar with imperial measurements but I googled the conversion and I think 18 birds in that amount of space is way too many.
Coop size is 3.3m x 2.3m so around 7.59 sq m

Back
Top Bottom