overdue eggs.

paddyg84

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
Hatch day was supposed to be yesterday. As it is my first time I'm incredibly impatient and worried I'm not going to get any at all. I have a broody sitting on them.
How often do.they go over 21 days, is this normal. Are there any signs my broody hen will show when they are about to hatch?

There is a two day window for hatching, so dont give up. However, we tried this once with a hen, and none hatched, We think the combination of the hens heat and the hot weather was too much for them. Are you dealing with any weather extremes?

It can take up to 27 days.

A week ago, it was day 26 on our first BCM hatch... We had 13 chicks in the brooder hatched a few days previously, so we were removing the leftover eggs to do eggtopsies. We saw three eggs in the corner- but there were little faces staring back at us! The chicks then started chirping- after being silent the whole time. Well, we shut the incubator as quickly as possible, and let them go for a few more days to try to get out themselves.

Guess too much humidity left the incubator as we could tell the chicks were getting weaker, so we helped the three out, but left them in the incubator a few more days to rest after giving them eyedroppers of sugar water.

Membrane was glued all over their pinfeathers liked dried on Wrigley's- there was no way they would've gotten out on their own. We got as much off with water as we could but pulled off some pinfeathers, so he has small bald patches. Two of the tiny chicks passed on a few days later. But the surviving chick is tiny but thriving, eating, socializing and has drive. He looks sad, with bits of membrane still stuck on, but he is one lucky guy!

One of the normal chicks at two days old.

The surviving shrinkwrapped chick, "Lucky"

Last edited:
Gorgeous chicks! Thanks for the story. Il not give up hope until at least then. Hopefully no probs with humidity as my wee broody Silkie has been glued to them. Il let you know how it goes

Back
Top Bottom