overgrown claws and beaks

Somebody, I think @casportpony , just posted a photo and comments on beak trimming.

If you could post a photo of two it might help us some.

I don't trim beaks. When I trim claws I use a Dremel tool and one of those discs you use for cutting metal. Some people use a Dremel tool and a grinding bit to gradually take them back. Some people use dog nail clippers. Different ways to go about it.

The claws have a quick. If you cut into that quick it will bleed some. On the few times I've cut into it the bleeding wasn't much, just a few drops. Some people say it's a lot when they cut the quick. It's probably a good idea to have some flour or corn starch handy to stop the bleeding, but I've never used it.

There is no set length of how far down the quick goes. Usually if I take off no more than 1/4 of the claw I do not get into the quick.

Forgot to add, I wrap them in a towel. around the wings. Keeps them pretty calm. Even when I nicked the quick the rooster did not flinch.
That's the same method I use I wrap my animals in a towel as far as trimming beeks I never trim the black stuff j just the overgrown white parts of the beak. We use dog nail trimmers. I have never felt the need to trim chicken claws they scratch and keep them short themselves. The only chicken that ever needs a beak trimming is my cross beak. All of our other chickens do just fine with the concrete for trimming their beaks.

I have just (this evening!) inherited 18 bantams of various breeds, from a man whose father kept them, then died. He has not been very interested in them (since August, when his Dad died) but has continued to feed them. They were kept inside a small shed, in cages of two or three at a time. I have an Eglu Cube and a walk in run and have put them all in together this evening, with fingers crossed. One looks pretty sick and I have her in the kitchen in a cat crate with straw overnight tonight.
There appear to be 4 cockerels amongst them!.
My question is, how much can I trim off their VERY overgrown claws, do I need to do it in stages or all at once?
And can I trim their beaks? A couple of them have very long beaks, not sure how they can peck, to be honest, but they all had a go at the grass when they arrived.
I plan to get up early and take them out one by one to trim claws (and beaks if that's a thing) and clip wings, as they will hopefully be free range in a month or two.
Any advice please? In a mild state of panic, as I wasn't expecting so many, nor for them to be so unkempt! I have had rescue commercial hens before, but not had these problems! As for clipping wings I do Not agree with that. If the bird needs to get away from a predator you have compromised it. Most birds don't fly away..If they are content they stay not that far from their coop. And most egg laying breeds with the exception of maybe Longhorns, most cant fly very well anyway. You won't find sexlinks, Rhode island reds etc up high in the trees generally. If they have all their needs met they gave no reason to fly away, so I don't like wing clipping. Most attacks on free ranging birds sadly are dogs so your birds do need to be able to get away effectly. Enjoy your new flock😊

Back
Top Bottom