Overly aggressive bunny

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by into_my_web, Nov 4, 2009.

1. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    I have five bunnies, I got three from the pet store and two from a local petting zoo that was selling the older rabbits. I bought these two bunnies that look only about a year or two old, and it was fine for a few weeks but then the male I got from the petting zoo was chasing the male I had gotten from the pet store. I thought at first the two bunnies were just playing or were fighting because they were both males but lately the bunny has been chasing even the females and it's not even a mating thing, he chases them and bites them and pulls out their fur.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.
    Thank-you.

2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Are they neutered? If not, you must seperate the males immediately. Male rabbits are very territorial and will kill one another.

3. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    No, I don't think he's neutered. I guess I will have to call the vet.
    I wasn't aware, I did my research on bunnies before buying them but I didn't see it anywhere that they were aggresive.
    The weird thing is I have three males and only one is aggressive, is this because he thinks he is the more dominant male?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep, you will have to neuter one of them if you expect them to coincide in peace. It's a territorial thing. [​IMG]

5. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Some are just more dominant than others, but I would get all the males neutered. Neutered males make really sweet pets. I have two neutered male mini lops and they play nicely.

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    You might check to make sure that there are no males with the females or they'll be multiplying lke crazy. Wise to get them all fixed and then pair them off. Good luck!

7. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    separate it, eat it or neuter it..LOL

you can't change the behavior --you just have to adapt to the problem.

good luck

8. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Okay, well I'll call the vet today and get him neutered.
    Thanks everyone:D

9. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    You need to keep them all in seperate cages. I suggest you read some good rabbit books before you get any more. The guidebook to raising better rabbits and cavies produced by the ARBA www.arba.net is a good start. Bucks are very territorial. they will fight and kill each other. that buck isn't being mean. He wants the other one out of his territory. Also get any does into their own cages, because you will have babies due pretty soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by