Overly Aggressive Hen Toward New Flock Members

DClopein

Chirping
Oct 3, 2021
Hagerstown Maryland
I need advice. šŸ˜„ I have a hen who is super aggressive toward my new polish hens. I know the whole pecking order deal but its been a few weeks with introducing them thru separate cages & allowing them to coexist under supervision while free ranging. I have a brahma hen who is SUPER aggressive towards them. The other hens seem to be fine & are showing normal pecking order behaviors & can coexist pretty well so far. My brahma seems to be chasing them down even when they are being submissive sometimes ending with feathers in her mouth. Its almost like she is wanting to hurt them. I don't think she is 'top hen tho. What can I do? I want them to be able to all be together & I have done everything that is recommended about the pecking order & proper introduction. Does anyone know why she may be acting this way & why all the others are being fine. I am stumped on what to do for them. šŸ˜„

I need advice. šŸ˜„ I have a hen who is super aggressive toward my new polish hens. I know the whole pecking order deal but its been a few weeks with introducing them thru separate cages & allowing them to coexist under supervision while free ranging. I have a brahma hen who is SUPER aggressive towards them. The other hens seem to be fine & are showing normal pecking order behaviors & can coexist pretty well so far. My brahma seems to be chasing them down even when they are being submissive sometimes ending with feathers in her mouth. Its almost like she is wanting to hurt them. I don't think she is 'top hen tho. What can I do? I want them to be able to all be together & I have done everything that is recommended about the pecking order & proper introduction. Does anyone know why she may be acting this way & why all the others are being fine. I am stumped on what to do for them. šŸ˜„
Polish are easy targets. Brahmas are big birds. A lot of people separate Polish chickens because Polish are small, have crests, and they can have poor vision due to their crest. Whenever I integrate new birds, I provide more feeders and waterers.

In your case, it might be worth a try to separate the bully for a few days before reuniting her with the flock.

How old is everyone (Polish and bully)? What are the dimensions of the coop?

Do they free range? If so, how long?

She's probably low hen, they are often the most aggressive to new birds.
I'd crate her for a time, maybe put her in the space you had the newbies.
I ended up removing the 2 that were super aggressive. My other 2 are super sweet to them and they were ones I raised from chicks. The mean ones were rescued and she was definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. Maybe that's what it was. I thought about separating her for awhile but I just decided to rehome them. They came together and got rehomed together as well & they went to a very nice farm. They aways escaped my yard too which was becoming a issue. Their previous home they were able to free range in the woods and all so they just wanted out. I felt like this was just not the right fit for them to be happy. Thanks for the advice tho. I really appreciate it.
I just got 2 day old chicks (a Hmong & a Ayam Cemani) that I will be adding to the flock as well and I didn't want to have to worry about them hurting any of them. Sucks but they're better off where they are now. šŸ˜„

Polish are easy targets. Brahmas are big birds. A lot of people separate Polish chickens because Polish are small, have crests, and they can have poor vision due to their crest. Whenever I integrate new birds, I provide more feeders and waterers.

In your case, it might be worth a try to separate the bully for a few days before reuniting her with the flock.

How old is everyone (Polish and bully)? What are the dimensions of the coop?

Do they free range? If so, how long?
Thanks for the info. I actually just went ahead and found a new home for the 2 super aggressive hens. They were originally rescues. Now I just have my 2 I got from Tractor Supply back in March I think. They are super sweet & don't bully the Polish chicks at all, thank God! Tonight, since I rehomed the other 2, it's their first night in the big coop with my 2 hens. The Polish are around 12 weeks old right now. Maybe a little more. & my others are close to like 8 or 9 months. & They get along fine. And they are only cooped at night and free range during the day so they have plenty of room to hide or get away if anything was to arise. I am hopeful that the transition is going to be smooth. My hens are good girls lol. The polish girls scared me tonight tho. I went to put them to bed and I couldn't find them, anywhere. I looked all over the place and started to panic. I kept calling for them hoping to hear a peep and finally I did and found them perched & sleeping on one of our potted trees. I walked by them atleast 10 times & didn't even see them. It was so dark. Haha I stuck them in with the others & crossing my fingers it all goes well in the morning. Like I said tho, they are doing pretty darn well already. šŸ˜ƒ

Attachments

• received_613433029660674.jpeg
    received_613433029660674.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 4
  • received_253454426742897.jpeg
    received_253454426742897.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom