Overly aggressive rooster???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dusty Grin, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Dusty Grin

Dusty Grin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    We have a five month old RIR rooster named King Feo. In the last several weeks he's become much more "interested" in his females. The problem is, the don't seem to have the same "feelings". He really roughs them up, and now his favorite ladies are starting to bear the bald patches of his affection. My question is, are all roosters this aggressive with their ladies, or did we just wind up with a bully. I've read some posts about people having roosters that were "gentlemen"... He's a great protector, of the hens and the coop, but I can't help but feel sorry for the ladies. Is there any rooster breeds that seem to be more relaxed than others? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I wouldn't give up on him or classify him as a bully just yet- keep in mind he's still a "teenage boy" and he's going to be clumsy and annoying for a while. If you like you can always separate him from the hens for a while to give them time to recover from his "affection". From what I've observed and read there really aren't any "relaxed" breeds, rather it's based on each roo's individual temperament. I've had some that were supposed to be "mean" that weren't and some that were supposed to be "wonderful" that weren't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by