overly concerned or justified worry?

BigWooly

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
texas
So the wifey and I are brand new to the fun of our backyard flock. One of our leghorn pullets (affectionately called poopypants) has allways had a messy bottom. She also has had a bulge almost like an egg inside her (keep in mind that's just what it looks like to my 2 week veteran eyes) just under her vent since we got her. None of our others have such a bulge. Our flock consists of 2 leghorns, 2 buff orp's, and 1 rhode red. A wonderfully helpful chicken owner down the street suggested she could have an obstructed bowl and massage and exercise could help. When I picked her up for her massage today she pushed a turd that concerned me, but sence then with help from the folks here I've calmed myself believing it's a normal stool. Here are the best picks I could get. I hope I'm just overly concerned

She may just have a messy bottom. The poop looks to be a cecal poop which chickens have every 9-10 poops, but at this age watch for signs of coccidiosis. If her other poops are normal there's probably no worry, but if you notice blood in the stool or chicks acting lethargic, get some Corid or amprollium to treat. I have some hens who need their vent areas trimmed occasionally from this. I like to use some vitamin/probiotics in the water 3 days a week to keep the intestinal bacteria healthy. Here are a couple of poop picture collections for normal and abnormal: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0

Last edited:
How old is this bird? Looks pretty young. She definitely has an issue but hard to say exactly what's going on there. How is she otherwise? Eating/drinking/running around like normal? Does that distended area feel hard or soft? Will probably be very difficult to know what's going on in there without the help of a vet, if even then.

She is about 8-10 weeks old best I can tell. Lady we got her from wasn't very clear on that. But she had 300 chicks so I can understand. The hen seems to be eating and drinking as much as the others, one of the biggest eaters in fact. She is just as active as the others but she sits down more often. Sometimes she will even sit while she eats leaves and grass, but doesn't ever sit while eating from feeder. The bulge is firm and I can feel her clucks in my hand almost like having a finger on your Adams apple while talking, when I massage it. I guess in short she seems ok just kinda lumpy and poopish on the backside.

Thank you for the reassuring words eggsesive. (nice handle by the way). What type or brand of vitamins/probiotics do you use? Would a little Greek yogurt 2 or 3 times a week work?

Back
Top Bottom