Overmounting? weird bald spot above tail...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clucktastic, Jan 6, 2010.

1. clucktastic

clucktastic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Pullman, Mi
    Hi everyone! I was wondering about my 3 EE hens... they have developed a bald spot just above their tails on their backs, and I'm wondering if it's possibly over-mounting by my rather Barry White like rooster-of-love.... two of them developed them to about the same degree, and the third one hasn't gotten nearly as bald. the spot is about the size of an egg, and they aren't bleeding or anything. I noticed some bloodfeathers coming in, and they seem to be getting a little better, but it's been over a week now, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't quarantine them? they are eating and laying just fine (the cold weather isn't phasing them a bit) and I don't see any edvidence of pecking... the others seem to leave them alone well enough. I think I may need to saddle them? Hmmm.... any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

Anthony

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Sounds like you need to remove that rooster for awhile or get aprons to protect their backs.

3. clucktastic

clucktastic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Pullman, Mi
    That's what I was thinking... but I have two and can't tell which one it is... One of them is already headed towards the kettle... ornery cuss he is... I suppose I'll just have to put them both in solitary for a while. Grrr... it's always something.

4. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    If you don't want to seperate them, try a saddle or apron.
    In my experience when my girls got raw spots from mating, they did not get picked at by the others and had no problems (no bleeding, infections, etc).

The truth is that I solved my problem by getting more girls [​IMG] that way my roo was not loving a few select hens so much and had more to share his love with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by