Overnight Temperature Excursion. Restart?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jabowery, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jabowery

jabowery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    My Coop
    On Sept 11 I put about 40 eggs in a Little Giant incubator with fan. A couple of days ago I added a turner (yeah I know day 7 or there abouts is the most critical time). I restabilized the temperature without any large temperature excursions. Last night I moved it around to give it more breathing room underneath and must have bumped the temperature adjustment because this morning I woke up and found that the temperature was 104 degrees.

Should I toss the batch and start over?

2. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    You may have lost some but I wouldn't give up. I'm sure some are still good. Eggs are tougher than we give them credit for.

3. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    I would wait a few days and then candle them. You might be surprised and not lost any of them. All depends on how long the temp was at 104!
    During my last incubation I had a temperature glitch in my homemade incubator where the temp went to 110. When I walked in the door from work and saw the temp I thought I had lost them all as I had no idea how long it had been that high. I got the temp down as fast as possible and in the end all of the eggs hatched!
    So don't give up yet

4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    The temperature in the room where my LG incubator is at, is not constant at all! My sister's A/C unit has a leak and often freezes up, and she has to turn it off until it thaws. One moment it may be 60 degrees in here, the next it might be 98!

Because of that, the temperature in my LG is VERY often two degrees higher or lower than it should be. I'm always having to adjust it. Yet so far I've had a 100% hatch-rate. So a few degrees higher or lower isn't a problem. Just set it back to what it needs to be and check it to make sure it stays in that range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by