Overwhelmed with info

rlcrn02

Chirping
Apr 22, 2015
Sorry I know that this topic has tons of information written about it already, but that is the problem. I just need it simplified, please. The K.I.S.S. method of fermenting, if you will.

I want to ferment commercial feed, mainly. I have 80 chickens. No meat birds. Their coop is in a non-heated cinder-block building.
1. What do I need to get started?
2. How much do I ferment? Feed them?
3. What is the easiest, and most economical way to do this?
4. What supplements do you suggest adding?
5. Where is the best place to do this? Winter? Summer? ( live in SE Wisconsin) Was thinking about using our basement.
6. Easiest way to feed it to them?

Thanks so much! I'm just so overwhelmed with information I don't know how to start.

I hope someone is able to chime in with specific info for you.
I've never fermented feed for my flock but there are many that do.
There IS a lot on info to sift through for everything isn't there...lol.
I do enjoy learning about everything though...lol. Best of luck!

I suggest you experiment first. 80 birds is pretty substantial as far as backyard flocks go, but you don't need to go "all or nothing" right from the start. You can start with just supplementing their diet with fermented feed.

Get three 5 gallon buckets. Fill each 1/3 full of feed and enough water to cover the feed. As the water is absorbed, keep adding more until it becomes the consistency of porridge. Keep track of how much you add for the next time you have to make a batch. Poke some holes in the lids so it can vent and cover the buckets. Let them sit for 2 days and ferment. Stir them once a day.

After 2 days, feed from the first bucket. When you only have a couple cups of FF left in the bottom of that bucket put fresh feed and water right in on top of it, mix, and set the bucket at the end of the line. Start feeding from the next bucket. When that's almost empty, reset it with fresh and go to the third bucket.

By the time you're done with the third bucket the first one will be ready again, and so on and so on. You will have a feel for how much your birds will eat and whether you need or want to attempt it on a larger scale as the sole feed or keep it small as a supplemental feed.

Back
Top Bottom