owl alert

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gottaluvchickens, Sep 23, 2009.

1. gottaluvchickens

gottaluvchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    I just saw an owl while I was outside putting up my chickens. I know that they will eat a chicken if given a chance. What can I use to scare them off.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not sure if CDs will scare off an owl or not. The best thing to do is put up your chickens a little earlier so the owl doesn't get a chance to grab one. Do you have them in a run?If you can cover the run that would be best.

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    If it is a Great Horned Owl, then it is a danger to chickens-- all sizes. If it is a Barred Owl or of course, Screech Owl, then NOT a danger. I don't know about Barn Owls-- anybody else? All are easy to tell apart by sight from a distance or by their sounds.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We have a family of barred owls. The parents nest in our huge oak tree trunk every spring and then we get to watch their babies grow up. When my chickens see a large shadow, they startle, but then when they realize it is the owls, they just go back to scratching. The owls don't bother them.

We have never had a problem with mice or rats with these big guys!

[​IMG]

5. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats Cool,
    Owls are beautiful.
    Happy that they are wanting to live in harmony with you and your extended family!!!!![​IMG]

6. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Niteguard has a nice product available to help ward off critters.
    Check it out at www.niteguard.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by