Owners of Many Chickens Needed for advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kuntrygirl, Apr 23, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Is there anyone out there that has a flock of 70 standard size chickens or more that can give me advice on size and design of a chicken coop to build? My breeds consists of buff orpingtons, black australops, new hampshire reds, barred rocks, rhode island reds delawares and leghorns. If you have any pics of your large coops, I would love to see it your pics.

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Cant show you any pitures as I am not on my computer(it crashed) but ours is 12.5 x 24. It is separated into three coops inside each with a door. Attached to it is a 15foot long run It runs the length of the coop and is also broken down into three sections. We used the frame work of an old awning carport for a boat. My son reinforced it with 2 x 4 and built me a beautiful coop. He dug down 2 feet all around the base so nothing could get in. We have added onto it in the back with three breed runs additionally. We have over 100 chickens but they are in more than one coop. Hope this helps

3. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Salem / Redgranite
    Most of what I read says you should have 2-4 square feet of coop space per chicken. Take that times 70 chickens...

70x2=140
    70x4=280

So you'd want a coop between 140 to 280 square feet (I'd strongly suggest something closer to 280). 280 squared is about 16.7 feet so you could build a coop 16x17, 20x14, or any other size that fits your needs and equals the square footage required.

No pictures... [​IMG] No coop... [​IMG] No chickens... [​IMG]

YET!

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    we 'refitted" our 14 x 16 outbuilding into a coop-- it now houses 35 standard size gals... along with a few Bantams who will soon have a place of their own...

We plan to get more birds-- but also to add more space... They aren't overcrowded, especially with the run open-- but I do not want to add stress by too little space....

figure at least 3 square ft of space per bird---
    adding roosts, 2nd levels (wide shelves along a wall) also adds to the "square footage" by adding extra spaces for the birds to roost & rest...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by