Owning Multiple Breeds?

DuckiesPLZ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
UHUH, so thanks so much for the feedback on the first post

Would it be okay if I owned say two or three breeds of domestic ducks and kept them in the same pen and all? They're all so cute :I And could I have one rouen, 2 campbell, and 3 runners (for example, I'm just wodnering if they need to have equal amounts) and what about gender?

sorry thanks
big_smile.png

--DuckiesPLZ

You can keep different breeds together but you cannot expect to get pure breeds if you decide to hatch the eggs. I plan on keeping 3 breeds together for fall and winter and then I will separate them into individual breeding pens in spring to hatch out pure stock.

Quote:
Oh I'm not going to be hatching any, I don't want to get babies galore O_O; my mother would kill me... but in case I decide to breed, thanks for the advice
big_smile.png

I was thinking of doing this as I have Runner ducklings that I have been unable to sell so far. I just got Muscovy ducklings (what I origianally wanted). My DH is a bit upset as he does not understand why I wanted to change breeds.
hu.gif
My only concern would be size. If I keep some female runners, they could be injured by a large male muscovy. If I keep male runners, they could be injured by much larger Muscovy drakes. I don't have quarters for individual breeds.
sad.png
Yet. I am in the process of talking my DH into moving. (He would say it is more like bribing or bullying but I choose to call it talking into)
wink.png

I have moltible breeds at the moment, I have 2 males and 1 female rouen, 1 khaki campbell drake, and 1 ancona female and 1 male mallard. I also have a male and a female call. I have the calls and the other girls in a kennal right now, I cant have the boys tearing up there feathers.

By the end of this year I will have 4 WH (welsh harlequin) 4 rouen (getting rid of a male and getting two more girls) 3 khakis (hatching some eggs and hopeing for some girls) the one ancona and the calls.

I wouldn't keep tiny bantams with large ducks.

If you don't want to hatch ducklings, I suggest that you either get all females if you want eggs, or else get all males if you want quiet. That eliminates any issue with large males breeding small females.

As a generalization, ducks aren't horrible to each other like chickens are.

Back
Top Bottom