Oxine AH Users ...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6chick*start, Sep 16, 2011.

1. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Undiluted, how much Oxine in a regular quart sprayer, not fogger, as prevention in daily (big poop) cleaned coop?
    Can I also spray in my sand run that I clean (big poop) daily?
    How often?
    I sparingly sprinkle DE weekly in both. Love that stuff!

1/8 tsp per gallon in drinking water. Can I do this daily?

[​IMG]

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    when I clean my coop, every 4 days, I lock the chickens out...after cleaning I spray a mix of 3 oz. Oxine to 1 gal water. put it in a pump sprayer and spray everything in the coop until wet.....do not release hens back into the coop until it is dry.
    I do not use it in the run.
    I have not used it in their drinking water (yet), I've only used ACV.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I LOVE your coop!!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

In a quart spray bottle I use about 3.5 tablespoons, to mist the birds down with. I also spray their coop down with that ratio, but I supposed you could go stronger. I do it once or twice a week. I also do it when I clean out the coops.

I'll put a couple squirts of the oxine water into their water bowls once a week. I was told not to use oxine in their water everyday because while the oxine kills that bad bacteria it will also kill the good bacteria.

5. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Quote:That's what I was looking for thanks. I doubt I would use much stronger as I want to use on my birds as well. Also don't want to remove everything. My coop is already too clean for that.
    The bacteria thing makes sense.

I looked at your wonderful silkies. So now a new question.
    I recently got my first silkie pair. Not sure age, somewhere between 16-20 weeks. That small coop on left is for them.
    When can I expect maturity from the boy? How soon after she starts laying can I expect my girl to get broody? I know they are big on brooding and I do want that.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by