Oxine vapor 'bath' questions...

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Hey, does anyone know if I have to replace the water/oxine ah (not activated) liquid every day or would any leftovers from the day before still have the same effectiveness as when the water and oxine was first mixed? I have a hen here that I think has MG, she's been coughing/wheezing/sneezing- whatever it is I can't tell exactly she just sounds like she is choking from time to time. I thought maybe it was gapeworm and treated her with a variety of wormers but nothing helped.

I've started giving her oxine ah vapor 'baths' yesterday (although I did a few times before, albeit for only 10 minutes at a time) I realized yesterday when searching for information she needs to be in there longer, so yesterday was her first hour long therapeutic vapor bath session.

I want to do this again today but I just don't know if I should replace the mixture with all new? I don't want to waste the stuff as it is expensive, but I don't want her second session to be 'less than' and not help her.

Does anyone know and can help me with it?

I don't know the answer but ask that question at Amazon under the product and believe you will get some good answers. That is where I purchased mine, just haven't used it yet.

Thanks limited25.. I''ll try that too.

Been treating her and a rooster that are both sick and I'm sad to say I've not seen how it helps at all.
sad.png
Both are still very ill after two treatments.

Did you read all the reviews and questions on Amazon? Forget what all I read but there was a lot of good advise. Somehow I was under the impression that you put it into a vaporizer and exposed them to that. Didn't realize it was a "bath" type situation. I have mine but have not needed it yet. Sorry, not much help .... seemed like most people gave it a good review. Best wishes.

You do not need to mix up a new batch each time. I have read that it does breakdown overtime, but a few days would probably not harm the mixture at all. I always mix up a batch and use it until gone. If you think your birds have MG, I recommend treating them with Denagard. Best of luck with your birds!

Did you read all the reviews and questions on Amazon? Forget what all I read but there was a lot of good advise. Somehow I was under the impression that you put it into a vaporizer and exposed them to that. Didn't realize it was a "bath" type situation. I have mine but have not needed it yet. Sorry, not much help .... seemed like most people gave it a good review. Best wishes.
I did do some reading on Amazon reviews... very good posts there as well! So helpful!

Yeah, when I mean "bath" I mean that they are bathed in the vapor- from the vaporizer. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I put them in a cat carrier, set it up a bit off the floor then put the vaporizer (with the oxine water mix inside) in front of the carrier with the chicken in it. Then I turn it on and cover the carrier and the back of the vaporizer with a towel- leaving the front of the vaporizer to do its thing enclosed under the towel. It works well. I had done this one time before with two hens and I think it worked nicely. This time, not at all.
sad.png
I really don't know what I'm dealing with here... whatever it is, its strong and long lasting. I've tried just about everything. I guess I should continue with treatments anyway... would be good to get those germs off their feathers at the very least.

You do not need to mix up a new batch each time. I have read that it does breakdown overtime, but a few days would probably not harm the mixture at all. I always mix up a batch and use it until gone. If you think your birds have MG, I recommend treating them with Denagard. Best of luck with your birds!
Wow, thank you so much for that information. I will have to look up Denagard... hopefully something I can pick up around here. Thank You! Not sure about the MG but its about the only thing I can think of. Never had something so difficult to clear up before.

I hope the Denagard works. It makes the water bitter, therefore, you will have to add something like sugar to the water to get her to drink it. Please keep us updated on your hens progress. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom