Oxytetracycline conversation needed

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
I have a 9 month old CC Broiler with some nasty whiteish smelly junk coming out her vent. Up to a few weeks ago she was laying nice huge eggs 3-4 times a week, then stopped. At the time everything looked ok. Today I noticed a foul smell in the coop and when I picked her up, it was her.

I have powered oxytetracycline but I'm not good at doing metric to standard conversions. She's about 15-17 pounds, I'd prefer if I can do oral concentrated dosages instead of in the water. I can't separate her currently, I don't have a spare coop or brooder tank available right now to fit her size.

Thanks in advance.

Their bodies are not equipped to lay eggs, or live, for that matter. I think nuthatched is right, they are not meant to live this long, and have a high probability of organ faliure.
Is she a pet? If you are raising her for meat, you should not have let her live this long, and should either switch to a slower growing bird, like the bresse (supposedly they are delicious) or process them earlier.
If she is a pet, I am very sorry, but I don't think she will make it.

A 15-17 lbs cornish cross broiler may be experiencing organ failure.
What's her diet? Any other symptoms?
She's has an occasional wheeze but not constantly. She's on layer feed free fed with a little scratch shared with her coop mates on nights predicted below 35 Fahrenheit. She doesn't gorge herself either, she eats a little and walks away. She behaves like a regular size hen except she's the size of a small turkey and eats less. She tends to be active, walks around a large 500sqft pen unless raining, then she moves about a 45sqft coop that she shares with 2 older hens, a few young hens and 2 male guineas. Sometimes she even ventures outside the pen to the yard on days the gate is open or I'll put her on the grass myself. She's a ground nester as is my 5-6 year old golden comet (leg deformities prevent her from roosting), they have a very close bond like a mother and daughter would have. They sleep together at night and at times I catch the golden laying her head on the broilers back with her wing extended as if hugging her.

Their bodies are not equipped to lay eggs, or live, for that matter. I think nuthatched is right, they are not meant to live this long, and have a high probability of organ faliure.
Is she a pet? If you are raising her for meat, you should not have let her live this long, and should either switch to a slower growing bird, like the bresse (supposedly they are delicious) or process them earlier.
If she is a pet, I am very sorry, but I don't think she will make it.
She's definitely a pet. Her name is B.K., she and 3 others were spared from being butchered after it was found the people hired to butcher the rest didn't do things right. The other 3 died as the months went on. They had come to me from a friend at about 3-4 months old.

She's eating/drinking normal, she's just got the smelly infection like discharge from her vent. Today she was outside in the pen for several hours as she's done the last several days. I'd like to try and give her a chance, I've known others who successfully raised broilers that were small from early on, they hand fed theirs however to keep them from overeating. The one lived for about 2 years. Whereas my B.K. is treated like a regular chicken and I didn't get her until she was about 14-16 weeks old. I only fed her once a day initially, then after having an emergency a couple months ago where I was gone for almost 2 days leaving her and the golden comet without food, her stomach apparently shrank. Afterwards I felt guilty and left the feeder in the coop but to my surprise, she ate a few minutes and walked away, the golden ate like a piggy. She's been that way since.

I was also reading about vent gleet. She's exhibiting some of the same symptoms for it. I'm going to try adding ACV to the water, feed her some plain reduced fat yogurt and get some Miconazole to put on her vent area. It sure won't hurt.

I am glad that she does not over eat. That gives her a huge advantage, and if she has vent gleet, I realy think she can make it.
She will be super happy about the yogurt!
Best wishes for B. K. ♡
(sorry about asking if she was a pet, I had to be sure. I know it can be upsetting to get that question)

I am glad that she does not over eat. That gives her a huge advantage, and if she has vent gleet, I realy think she can make it.
She will be super happy about the yogurt!
Best wishes for B. K. ♡
(sorry about asking if she was a pet, I had to be sure. I know it can be upsetting to get that question)
Not upsetting, I've actually had people offer to butcher her and I tell them she's my "big kid" B.K. for short. When actually she's named after Burger King with their flame broiled whoppers but is a girl so I called her B.K. instead. Everyone (especially family) that's gotten to meet her seems to want their picture taken with her. She's been posted all over Facebook showing them holding her. Their friends are amazed at her size and a few city dwellers thought she was a turkey.

Back
Top Bottom