Oyster shell / DE

nuthatch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Inland Empire, CA
Please forgive my ignorance, but I just bought some oyster shell for the first time and was amazed at how BIG and SHARP the pieces were. If chickens can eat that stuff safely, why can't they eat the DE that is NOT food grade?

First of all, there is no reason to feed them DE at all, other than using a little in the feed to keep it dry.

I was shocked years ago when I opened my first bag of oyster shell. I even took a pic and posted it on BYC to make sure I had the right stuff.

Wiki says that 'freshwater' DE is the food grade, so perhaps it has something to do w/ that. (Fresh or salt??)

So, yeah, what is the diff btwn food/non-food grade?

I also have a question about oyster shell - should I be giving it to my laying hens all the time?

DE - to answer someone question from this thread - NON food grade is extremely poisons and is used in swimming pools - FOOD grade is great stuff, it is silica basically, my husband and I take it regularly, it helps with joint pains but rids your body of parasites. We feed it to our dogs and cat to rid them of worms. We also feed it to our chickens, mix some into their porridge to also rid them of any worms, we sprinkle it around and in the coop for bug control. We put some where the chickens dust so they dust with it for mites.
Flea control on pets and carpets is also done with food grade DE just be careful when sprinkling you should not breath it in, it is microscopic shards that are not good for the lungs. Plus it will clog up your vacuum filter. We prefer putting Borax (20 Mule Team) into the carpets for fleas - sprinkle on and scrub in with a broom.

DE is mixed into the grains that are stored in silos - keeps out the bugs and the moisture then when ground for feed it worms the cattle.

Dorothy

Want to read more about the benefits of food grade DE check out WolfCreekRanch.net website.

I also have a question about oyster shell - should I be giving it to my laying hens all the time?

DE - to answer someone question from this thread - NON food grade is extremely poisons and is used in swimming pools - FOOD grade is great stuff, it is silica basically, my husband and I take it regularly, it helps with joint pains but rids your body of parasites. We feed it to our dogs and cat to rid them of worms. We also feed it to our chickens, mix some into their porridge to also rid them of any worms, we sprinkle it around and in the coop for bug control. We put some where the chickens dust so they dust with it for mites.
Flea control on pets and carpets is also done with food grade DE just be careful when sprinkling you should not breath it in, it is microscopic shards that are not good for the lungs. Plus it will clog up your vacuum filter. We prefer putting Borax (20 Mule Team) into the carpets for fleas - sprinkle on and scrub in with a broom.

DE is mixed into the grains that are stored in silos - keeps out the bugs and the moisture then when ground for feed it worms the cattle.

Dorothy

Want to read more about the benefits of food grade DE check out WolfCreekRanch.net website.
DE will not kill ANY internal parasites especially poultry, also I know a few cattle farm and not one of the use DE to control bugs and moisture in there grain they also use more reliable wormers.

Here is a quote from Dr. Christine King

Diatomaceous earth
"One of the most commonly used ingredients in these natural dewormers is diatomaceous earth or
diatomite. Diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring, soft, chalky rock that, when crushed,
yields a fine, light-grey powder. It consists of fossilized remains of tiny hard-shelled algae called
diatoms. Owing to their high content of crystalline silica, diatomite is mildly abrasive.
In fact, that is the mechanism by which diatomite is purported to kill intestinal parasites. It is
believed that the abrasive micro-surfaces of the diatomite cut the outer membranes of the
parasites like thousands of tiny blades. But I question that premise. Industrial-grade diatomite
has a high silica content and is used as a mild abrasive. However, food-grade diatomite has a
much lower content of crystalline silica, so it is minimally abrasive.
And even if the abrasion theory is valid, then what does this stuff do to the delicate lining of
the digestive tract? While I could not find even one scientific study which validates the use of
diatomite against internal parasites in horses or other livestock, my search did turn up several
articles documenting the health risks of chronic exposure to diatomite. When inhaled, it causes
inflammation of the airways and, with chronic exposure, even some fibrosis (scarring).
Even more concerning was a study which showed that chronic oral intake of diatomite can
damage the intestinal lining, altering its absorptive properties and making it more permeable to
potentially harmful substances. So, it seems to me that the practice of using diatomaceous earth
as a daily dewormer for horses is either useless but harmless or useful but harmful, depending on
the grade of diatomite used.''

DE - to answer someone question from this thread - NON food grade is extremely poisons and is used in swimming pools -

"Extremely poisonous". Why? The only thing I've learned is that it is abrasive. That oyster shell looks pretty darn abrasive to me!
hmm.png

"Extremely poisonous". Why? The only thing I've learned is that it is abrasive. That oyster shell looks pretty darn abrasive to me!
hmm.png

This might help some,
Information below can be found at http://absorbentproductsltd.wordpre...s-pool-grade-diatomaceous-earth-the-dl-on-de/
Note there are 3 grades of DE; Food grade, Feed grade and Pool grade talked about in this post.

Whether it be for use with livestock, as pest control or as a natural health supplement for humans, the buzz surrounding DE is undeniable. However, there is a lot of confusion regarding the various types of diatomaceous earth and what they can and cannot be used for. So here it is…the ‘down low’ on DE!
What is the difference between food and feed grade diatomaceous earth?
Although these two types are very similar there is one very important distinction between them. Food Grade DE must meet certain specifications regarding heavy metal content. To be considered Food Grade, the Diatomaceous Earth must not contain more than 10mg/kg of arsenic and no more than 10mg/kg of lead.

What is the difference between food grade and pool grade DE?
The difference here lies with the way that each type of DE is treated. Pool grade DE is calcined, meaning that is treated with very high heat. This turns the silicon dioxide that is present in the DE into crystalline silica. Pool grade diatomaceous earth has more than 1 percent 1% (in fact, it can it can range from 60-70 percent) crystalline silica. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, on the other hand, has less than 1% crystalline silica and is not calcined.

What’s the difference between grey and white diatomaceous earth?
DE varies in color due to the fact that each deposit is composed of a unique makeup. The reason thatRed Lake Diatomaceous Earth is brownish-grey is that, in addition to diatomaceous earth, this deposit is also enhanced with naturally occurring montmorillonite (also known as calcium bentonite).

Can pool grade DE be used for anything other than filtration?
Because of its high crystalline silica content, pool grade diatomaceous earth should not be used for anything other than filtration.

Back
Top Bottom