Oyster Shell Equivalent?

Oh, Imp, that is a fabulous list! Thank you so much! How do I know how much to give them?

First of all, do I need to make these inaccessible to the younger chickens?

I have seen younger chickens eat a few, but what youngster doesn't experiment? I have not seen them eat many. I think they quickly understand they don't need it, while the hens usually eat it if they need it. One bite won't harm them. They would have to eat extra calcium over a time period for it to harm them.

So, no, you do not need to make it inaccessible. You can't stop them anyway.

Is this still a necessary addition for free ranging birds?

Maybe, maybe not. Wild birds lay eggs and they don't get fed oyster shell. There is a lot of calcium in the environment. They may get calcium from the shells of some bugs they eat. Many plants provide calcium. If your rock is limestone, they will get calcium from the small pebbles they eat as grit. As Flockwatcher said, let your egg shells tell you if they need more.

I put my egg shells on the compost heap. If they want them, they can eat them. Usually they don't.

Oh, Imp, that is a fabulous list! Thank you so much! How do I know how much to give them?

Um! Never thought about it that way. I feed Purina Layer which already has calcium in it. and nightly make them a "salad" as a treat. I usually give them greens, veggies, carbs, sometimes fruit or catfood. I have never bothered with the eggshells and rarely give them oyster shell. Since I've never had a problem with thin shells I haven't bothered to think it past trying to keep their treats to healthy treats; rather than "junk" foods.

Imp

Last edited:
I tried the egg shells baked and crushed last summer and I have ended up with some egg eaters. I haven't found out yet who is doing it but they do eat them sometimes. I will never do the egg shells again with my chickens. Just my experience.

Hmm, I regularly give mine the crushed egg shells, and have never had an issue with egg pecking.
hu.gif

They are on a layer feed right now, the change comes because I guess I will need to switch the whole flock over to flock raiser for the new chickies we're getting in order for them to hang out.

Feeding back the egg shells is NOT adding any calcium to their diets, since that calcium came from the birds to begin with,
It helps, but it's still not enough to replace what they are losing

Oyster shell is cheap and easy to find at most feed stores

Why make things harder than they need to be?

I'm also wondering if free range hens need the oyster shell. I throw it out with scratch, but they just seem to ignore it.
Mine range freely, too, but I do keep some oyster shell out for them all the time. More as a "just in case" it's needed. I don't give mine scratch, but they do get a fresh greens, dry oatmeal, shredded cheese, or BOSS as treats. I'd rather the hens find the oyster shell if they should need it, than deal with soft-shelled eggs and try to build up calcium levels from the deficit side of things.

Back
Top Bottom