oyster shell for a new layer

lewlew

Songster
6 Years
May 7, 2015
Greenville SC
Background:

I have 7 chickens that are 6 1/2 months old. I have one girl so far that is laying. I feed them Starter Grower from Purina. The other 6 girls aren't laying yet.

I have understood I shouldn't feed them a layer feed until they are all laying because giving them extra calcium before they start laying could be bad for them. I assumed that if I just put out some oyster shell that they would only eat it if they needed it. Meaning I just figured it was probably only going to be eaten by the one that is currently laying (if her body needed it).

Well, I put about a cup of oyster shell in a shallow dish yesterday, and when I come out to the run today, it was all gone.

Hopefully it won't do any damage, but should I just not worry about the extra calcium right now and just wait for the others to start laying?

I would give them pellets. When I give my hens oyster shells is when I start seeing week eggshells or an egg eater. I usually start giving my chickens layer feed when they are big enough to eat it which is about 3-4 months old and I don't give it to them suddenly. I start out by mixing it with their other feed putting a little bit more every time their feeder needs to be filled. They don't like a sudden change to a new type of grain so slowly introduce it to them.

Background:

I have 7 chickens that are 6 1/2 months old. I have one girl so far that is laying. I feed them Starter Grower from Purina. The other 6 girls aren't laying yet.

I have understood I shouldn't feed them a layer feed until they are all laying because giving them extra calcium before they start laying could be bad for them. I assumed that if I just put out some oyster shell that they would only eat it if they needed it. Meaning I just figured it was probably only going to be eaten by the one that is currently laying (if her body needed it).

Well, I put about a cup of oyster shell in a shallow dish yesterday, and when I come out to the run today, it was all gone.

Hopefully it won't do any damage, but should I just not worry about the extra calcium right now and just wait for the others to start laying?
Sometimes when you introduce a new 'food' they may gorge on it.
I'm betting they maybe spilled more that they actually ate?
Even if they ate a bit it won't hurt them.

Do you also provide the proper sized granite grit?
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.
Sometimes I wonder if birds ingest the oyster shell because they actually crave some grit.

Supplying oyster and/or egg shell will not make birds into egg eaters,
it can actually deter/prevent egg eating.

I keep both shell and grit in these containers.
Won't spill and easy to watch consumption rate.
full

Sometimes when you introduce a new 'food' they may gorge on it.
I'm betting they maybe spilled more that they actually ate?
Even if they ate a bit it won't hurt them.

Do you also provide the proper sized granite grit?
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.
Sometimes I wonder if birds ingest the oyster shell because they actually crave some grit.

Supplying oyster and/or egg shell will not make birds into egg eaters,
it can actually deter/prevent egg eating.

I keep both shell and grit in these containers.
Won't spill and easy to watch consumption rate.
full

I LOVE that idea!!! I've been using a dog dish on a brick, and I'm not sure how much is being eaten, but I've been refilling it when it's been empty. This is an awesome idea!!

I LOVE that idea!!! I've been using a dog dish on a brick, and I'm not sure how much is being eaten, but I've been refilling it when it's been empty. This is an awesome idea!!
It works really well.
They knock over just about anything that is not secured to something solid.
I keep granite and shell in 1 liter bottles and just refill thru the front opening.

I never switched to layer feed, just added oyster shell to free feed and then started feeding back shells. This is just dumped in a pile next to the grit near their coop. I feed Bar Ale 20% protein and we give their 6 way scratch once a day.

Feed station 3.JPG

My indoor feeder, actually 3.
Granite grit, feed, and oystershell, all free choice.
Paver blocks for their nails and beak filing.

Once filled, the granite and oyster shells last a VERY long time.
Just refilled the granite grit after 12 years... about 12 girls, 10 pounds of grit.

Back
Top Bottom