Oyster shell for all vs Just one?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThunderStruck, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Sterling, Ohio
    I have a question about the oyster shell. as many of you may know we got our first egg today, Now how should i give the OS? should i just leave it out free choice for all 4 now? or should i wait till they are all laying? They are all the same age (right at 18 wks)

Thanks, Forrest

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I usually wait until they all have laid one egg or are at least 20 weeks old.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Forrest, the hens should be given the oyster shell free choice. They each will have individual needs and have the ability to decide when they need to eat more cacium.

Egg shells dried and crushed from your household use are almost 100% calcium, and can be added to the oyster shell to make life full circle. My hens prefer them over the oyster shell, however they consume more than I can provide without adding the oyster shell. It can be amazing how much additional calcium needs to be provided. My 14 hens will consume between a 1/3 to 1/2 cup daily. Sometimes even more depending on the hens desire.

bigzio

4. chickensrme

chickensrme Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2007
    Maine
    I would start giving them free choice now that the first one has been laid

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have way more hens than I should, but I put out 200 lbs. once the rains have slowed. When I see it gone I put out another 200 lbs. The chickens are free ranged and they have the choice of eating it or not. They will only eat it if they need it, it is not like treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by