Oyster shell for all vs Just one?

ThunderStruck

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Sterling, Ohio
I have a question about the oyster shell. as many of you may know we got our first egg today, Now how should i give the OS? should i just leave it out free choice for all 4 now? or should i wait till they are all laying? They are all the same age (right at 18 wks)

Thanks, Forrest

Forrest, the hens should be given the oyster shell free choice. They each will have individual needs and have the ability to decide when they need to eat more cacium.

Egg shells dried and crushed from your household use are almost 100% calcium, and can be added to the oyster shell to make life full circle. My hens prefer them over the oyster shell, however they consume more than I can provide without adding the oyster shell. It can be amazing how much additional calcium needs to be provided. My 14 hens will consume between a 1/3 to 1/2 cup daily. Sometimes even more depending on the hens desire.

bigzio

I have way more hens than I should, but I put out 200 lbs. once the rains have slowed. When I see it gone I put out another 200 lbs. The chickens are free ranged and they have the choice of eating it or not. They will only eat it if they need it, it is not like treats.

Back
Top Bottom