Oyster shell not available currently-what else do ducks like?

thank you! do your ducks/chicks like it? Mine like the flakes too and would not eat the stuff that looked like little pebbles. Our local distributer emailed me and told me that goverment restrictions on dredging the oyster shell is the problem. They expect to be back in stock in September.
Oh dear... Mine also refuse the pebble kind and only eat the flakes. I hope the bag I have lasts until September!

Good luck finding some!

thank you! do your ducks/chicks like it? Mine like the flakes too and would not eat the stuff that looked like little pebbles. Our local distributer emailed me and told me that goverment restrictions on dredging the oyster shell is the problem. They expect to be back in stock in September.
They are still semi pebbly, but much more crushed compared to other brands and more of a grayish hue than the usual white. I mixed them with what's left of the flakes I had and they have been eating them so far which is saying something because any time that I have tried the white rock type oyster shells that tractor supply carries my ducks just dump the bowl over😅

When I was doing chores today I took a comparison picture. On the left is Small Pet Selects oyster shells and on the right is Mile Four's oyster shells.
PXL_20210606_200503467~2.jpg

Don't you wish that you had crystal ball and could see the future? If I had known that oyster shell was going to be a coveted item, I would have bought 10 bags of the stuff (I think I paid $15.00 for a 50 lb bag) last year if I had known they weren't going to be available. They don't go bad.

I got some oyster shells from a neighbor that she had in her garden and took a hammer to them. The edges turned out to be razor sharp, making them unusable. They must do something to that grey stuff to soften them up.
Good to know! I won't do that if I get desperate!

Chewy is still out of stock...

Back
Top Bottom