Oyster shell question

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Hello all again,

Random question about oyster shell.

I have a mixed age flock as I'd imagine 99.9% of us do and have oyster shell set out for free choice for my older birds(1+ year). But I've noticed my second generation flock that's floating somewhere in the 15-16 week age range (SLW, GLW, "ameraucana" and sapphire gems) have had a couple pecking through and eating some last couple days or so when before they showed no interest in it at all.

Could this indicate that they may be coming close to starting to lay? I know generally speaking birds don't start laying until 20+ weeks. But in that same note IF the place I purchased them from was right on their age, I won't see eggs from them til around September 13th(earliest "americauna" and sapphire gems but as late as 7 months of age for gems) and as late as October 11th for the Wyandottes.

Based on my research the "ameraucana" birds are the earliest layers then the sapphire gems but was told they can take anywhere from 5-7 months to start laying then the Wyandottes between the weeks of 24-28 weeks.

Again, the shell is out there free choice for the older birds which I see at daily even for a short time. I'm honestly curious what this could indicate for my younger girls and if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks.

Hello all again,

Random question about oyster shell.

I have a mixed age flock as I'd imagine 99.9% of us do and have oyster shell set out for free choice for my older birds(1+ year). But I've noticed my second generation flock that's floating somewhere in the 15-16 week age range (SLW, GLW, "ameraucana" and sapphire gems) have had a couple pecking through and eating some last couple days or so when before they showed no interest in it at all.

Could this indicate that they may be coming close to starting to lay? I know generally speaking birds don't start laying until 20+ weeks. But in that same note IF the place I purchased them from was right on their age, I won't see eggs from them til around September 13th(earliest "americauna" and sapphire gems but as late as 7 months of age for gems) and as late as October 11th for the Wyandottes.

Based on my research the "ameraucana" birds are the earliest layers then the sapphire gems but was told they can take anywhere from 5-7 months to start laying then the Wyandottes between the weeks of 24-28 weeks.

Again, the shell is out there free choice for the older birds which I see at daily even for a short time. I'm honestly curious what this could indicate for my younger girls and if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks.
I wouldnt think that would be a great indicator for eggs soon. A red comb, squatting, and visits to the nesting box is what I would look for. That being said, Google gives an estimate on when a hen starts laying, are they wrong? Not entirely, but I have had hens lay as early as 15-16 weeks and some laying many weeks later.

I wouldnt think that would be a great indicator for eggs soon. A red comb, squatting, and visits to the nesting box is what I would look for. That being said, Google gives an estimate on when a hen starts laying, are they wrong? Not entirely, but I have had hens lay as early as 15-16 weeks and some laying many weeks later.
I haven't really had any squat. Nor have I really noticed my older rooster going after them to do his duties so to speak. I have had a couple at night when I go out for a nightly head count to make sure they're all in checking out the nest boxes. Some of them have a lil bit deeper of a color in their combs but not by much. My isa browns actually started laying when their combs were a light pink still. They actually caught me by surprise as I had two I knew laying(older than them) when my old coop had all 3 boxes full btly isa brown hens when I didn't expect them to lay for another week or two. Right now I'm out of work due to a surgery so now that I'm mostly independent(other than lifting) I'm home by my lonesome with my 3 pooches and the 20 chickens(soon to be 26 due to a broody hen) so I have all sorts of time to watch and observe them. Besides the doctor wants me moving as much as possible to help with the rehab of the surgical area in my spine.😁 Always outside and walking their perimeter to look for signs of predatory markings which I think I had one visitor get a shock and hasn't been back since.

Ironically once I adopted a few 2 year old hens I feel that the two that were laying (which laid immediately after the move) it almost seemingly coached the rest to start. Within a month of getting those two all my girls were laying eggs and I was up to my ears in eggs🤣

I haven't really had any squat. Nor have I really noticed my older rooster going after them to do his duties so to speak. I have had a couple at night when I go out for a nightly head count to make sure they're all in checking out the nest boxes. Some of them have a lil bit deeper of a color in their combs but not by much. My isa browns actually started laying when their combs were a light pink still. They actually caught me by surprise as I had two I knew laying(older than them) when my old coop had all 3 boxes full btly isa brown hens when I didn't expect them to lay for another week or two. Right now I'm out of work due to a surgery so now that I'm mostly independent(other than lifting) I'm home by my lonesome with my 3 pooches and the 20 chickens(soon to be 26 due to a broody hen) so I have all sorts of time to watch and observe them. Besides the doctor wants me moving as much as possible to help with the rehab of the surgical area in my spine.😁 Always outside and walking their perimeter to look for signs of predatory markings which I think I had one visitor get a shock and hasn't been back since.
Pictures of your girls? They may just be curious, I had a few chicks pecking at the oyster shells, but they havent been back since and they definitely wont be laying for a while.

chickens explore the world with their beaks. not uncommon for them to check things out when you put down oyster shell, then deciding they don't need it, ignore it for a time.

not an indication of start of lay at all. Start of Lay is like a strong suggestion, nothing to mark on a calendar. They will lay when they lay.

Squating behavior, redness of comb are better indicators.

Pictures of your girls? They may just be curious, I had a few chicks pecking at the oyster shells, but they havent been back since and they definitely wont be laying for a while.
I actually can't get out there at the moment but I actually planned on going out and snapping some photos here in about 30 minutes or so. If I can get some action shots of the youngins at the shells I'll get it. But they float to a place of cover then back. Then walk around then back to cover. Not sure why but they like being underneath my old coop.

chickens explore the world with their beaks. not uncommon for them to check things out when you put down oyster shell, then deciding they don't need it, ignore it for a time.

not an indication of start of lay at all. Start of Lay is like a strong suggestion, nothing to mark on a calendar. They will lay when they lay.

Squating behavior, redness of comb are better indicators.
It wasn't like a definitive time more or less. I know they'll start when they're ready. But I marked average times of those breeds to start paying attention to egg count in the nest boxes. Because with my first birds I didn't I just waited. This time I was testing theory based on information provided by breeders/hatcheries to get an idea of their accuracy. Not to mention when they first start laying its just eggciting.😁

I usually offer a four week range of "typical" for start of lay - and yes, I'm guilty of the same, eagerly checking boxes multiple times a day to see when my project birds might be starting.
I take it you're an "experimental breeder"? Lol I mean that in the nicest way possible lol.

Back
Top Bottom