Oyster Shell Supplements?

You can use calcium carbonate. Yes they kill the oysters but not for chickens. They kill them for people to eat oysters. The oyster shell is a by-product of people eating oysters. The issue that can be a problem is that oysters need oyster shell in the ocean to make new shell.

In the past
Crushed, rinsed eggshells! These are the same in calcium as oyster shells and they are much cheaper!!

That's what we do! I did have someone once tell me that this would make them egg eaters, but we never had a problem. I guess rinsing and changing the shape by crushing doesn't make a connection in the hens' minds.

In the past 

That's what we do! I did have someone once tell me that this would make them egg eaters, but we never had a problem. I guess rinsing and changing the shape by crushing doesn't make a connection in the hens' minds. 

Yeah many people say that , like you said, it causes hens to eat their eggs. But by rinsing them it gets rid of the raw egg taste and by crushing them it gets rid of the egg shape.

I don't even rinse or crush mine...just toss the halves in the coop. No egg eating problems yet...although it's only been 20 years
tongue.png

No oysters are caught specifically to harvest the shells. The shells are a byproduct of harvesting them for human consumption. I remember going to the coast recently and seeing a mountain of oyster shells--I'm not kidding, this pile was a good 30 feet tall. So not using them isn't really going to effect harvesting oysters.

Back
Top Bottom