oyster shell ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ctjim, Oct 21, 2007.

1. ctjim

ctjim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    lebanon,ct
    just got some oyster shell for my hens as they just started laying. the pieces of shell seem to be on the big side, and i purchased the pullet oyster shell bag. are they supposed to be that way? b4 i gave them to the hens i broke them up smaller, w/ a make shift mortar and pestal. i didn't want the bigger/sharper pieces to injure them.

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    im not sure becuase my silkie hasn't started laying but if they where big peaces i would brake them up to...
    -alex-

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    You'll be suprised at they'll eat. The big pieces are fine. I've had different types from our feedstore. The first time I bought some, they were large pieces like you described and the birds still ate them. The last time I bought some they were more like the consistency of large oatmeal flakes.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If they are to big, your hens will find a way to break them. No need to do it for them, it gives them something to play with.

5. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Mine eat whole sunflower seeds in the shell, So I don't think it'd hurt them.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have oyster shell from the 60's and they are about 3x the size of oyster shell at the feed store today... they still eat the ones from the 60's when both are available to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by