Oyster Shell

vachicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Virginia
I have been giving my girls OS and crushed egg shells but they are not eating it. Should I worry? the 2 eggs so far have had good shells..

I throw out some BOSS every couple of days, they are on layer, I give them tuna or salmon in the mornings, they don't eat worms, slugs, flies, but have been really digging and pecking around the house I think they are eating ants, we have way TOO many of those. I do put out a big handful of the guinea pig alfalfa now and then, Martins had a good sale on that. Other than that they get veggies, I give them apple cores and they don't touch them. They do like crickets I get a few at the bait store for them 1-2 times a month when I happen to be by there.

The eat lots of grass, I don't have to mow the yard now.

Another question: can I spray some water and dish soap (plain) on my tomatoes to keep them from eating them? as the toms grow they can reach them by jumping up higher than the fence. Wondered if the soap will stop them and not hurt them, the hens that is..

TKS

I have been giving my girls OS and crushed egg shells but they are not eating it. Should I worry? the 2 eggs so far have had good shells..

If they are on layer, they are probably getting enough calcium in their diet, so they don't need oyster shell. Let your egg shells tell you. If the egg shells are good, you do not need extra. Sounds like yours have access to the outside since they are keeping your lawn mowed for you. In Virginia, there is a good chance your native rock has limestone in it. They will get extra calcium from the pepples they pick up to use as grit. They get extra calcium from the hard shelled bugs they eat, and they are eating several if they have access to grass. They are also eating worms and slugs as well as ants. Flies can be hard for them to catch. It won't hurt anything for you to offer oyster shell to them, but it sure sounds like it is not necessary.

Another question: can I spray some water and dish soap (plain) on my tomatoes to keep them from eating them? as the toms grow they can reach them by jumping up higher than the fence. Wondered if the soap will stop them and not hurt them, the hens that is..

I seriously doubt it will stop them, but I also do not think soap will hurt the chickens. i don't think they would eat enough soap for it to be a prioblem. I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure. The only thing I've found successful in keeping chickens away from anything I don't want them to have is a fence of some type. I don't know your set-up, but maybe you can work something out with bird netting? It is pretty inexpensive but I'll warn you. The tomatoes will grow right through it if it is touching the tomatoes. A lot of the tomatoes will grow where they are protected by the netting, but later in the season, some will grow outside where the chickens can get to them. You can probably guess how I know.

Good luck!

THANKS for the info. The shells of the 2 eggs were good and hard so I won't worry. I may try the soap, I will let you know if it works.

Back
Top Bottom