oyster shell ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lovin my girls, Jan 26, 2011.

1. lovin my girls

lovin my girls Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    Hi,

Is it o.k. to mix oyster shell in with the feed? Or should I put the oyster shell out in a bowl by itself?

Thanks!!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I actually do both-mix a bit in with the feed and have a bowl with just oyster shell in it.

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    It's best to offer oyster shell and grit free-choice in seperate containers. Most commercial layer feeds contain some calcium anyway so the hens get some in normal eating and if they need more it's available to them.

Larry

4. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    My understanding is oyster shells are for when chicken need extra calcium. You know when they lay. If you feed a complete lay formula you would already have calcium in it. I was told to put it on the side in case they just need calcium but don't feel hungry for food. I don't think it would hurt if you mix it and a lot of people do, I put mine on the side incase they get "peckish"[​IMG] for calcium. Ok bad pun!

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:My option as well.

6. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I have a separate feeder with oyster shell. I've been surprised at how much of it they eat. I feed them a high quality layer ration for their main feed. I bought a 50 pound bag of crushed oyster shell for $7.25 today. It should take my 30+ hens a while to eat it up. I don't see the point in going through the extra work of mixing it into their feed. Sometimes, you can have too much of a good thing.

7. lovin my girls

lovin my girls Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    Wow....thank you all so much for your help and advice with this.

I'm going to put the oyster shell in it's own bowl for them.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by