Oyster shell

mortmalt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Cheltenham
When feeding oyster shell to my hens. What is the best way to give to them? Scattered? On its on in a dish or with food/scraps or pellets? If food, what kind of ratio? Please help me.

I use a shallow container, which I just place on some low bricks in a corner of my coop's run. I offer it to my hens free-choice; they always have some available in the dish.

Mine don't seem interested when its in a dish. Should I continue and leave then to come round, or experiment with food?

I find new ways to offer it to them...they get bored doing the same thing over and over again (at least that's what mine has told me) I don't buy oyster shell from the store I reuse their shells. I crack open the egg and scramble the yolk and then I chop up the shells..before chopping the shells I wash them so they don't smell the yolks..it helps to disguise the shells. or I hard boil the eggs...take off the outer part of the shells- and the yolk separate from the shells.

I lay both out and chop it up with some Italian seasoning + cyanne pepper on yolk and shells. if you don't have mixed aged flock then put them altogether. I feed chicks and pullets and laying hens these treaties..you don't want to feed chicks or pullets extra calcium because it can cause issues. you can feed this to them several times a week or even daily-all natural health benefits and plus you are recycling reusable materials.

mine just love it when they get those treaties..their mouths start to water as soon as the back door opens
droolin.gif
. I just throw it in their pens...they love scratching around for the little leftover morsels.

Hi, first off, just have to say how much I've learned from all the great information on this site. Even with differences of opinion it gives plenty for me to digest. On egg shells, I've recycled them for a few years now with my new pups and in the garden. I take the shells, wash them then place them on a baking dish at a pre 200 degrees for 10 min. ( you don't want them longer or the smell will drive you crazy) then into the food processor. The baking makes the shell more brittle which makes it easier to chop in the processor.

No baking,no seasoning, no microwave for me. Just dry them out on the counter or sun or like I do I put them atop the water heater which is always warm overnight and good to go. Throw them in a big coffee container with a couple of rocks and give it a good shake and presto calcium chips. Never had a problem with eggs eaters, smells or anything. Place them in a dispenser next to their food and let them chose when they want it. This works for me. Remember you want small chips and not dust. Unless you want to amend soil with calcium, I shake it to a powder.

Back
Top Bottom