Oyster shells or grit or both

We offer free choice of both oyster shells (which are calcium the hens need for strong eggshells) and grit (which they need for digestion in they are eating treats or free ranging). They take what they need!

Stacey

BOTH! unless they freerange then they only need oystershell.

SeaChick is absolutely correct....The best part about giving it to them free choice is they take what they need when they need it....so -for example- you don't have to worry about your roo getting too much calcium from eating layer feed. He won't touch the oyster shell!

Sandra

Quote:
My chickens do free range so they dont need grit right?
And whats the deal with my roo getting too much calcium?
Sorry, im a rookie chicken farmer

Put both out.
Grit and Shell is inexpensive, it will never rot or get old, and a bag of each won't take up much space.
It's easy to keep on hand and your hens will determine how fast it's used up.

spot

free range chickens don't need grit. the other is up to you. grit is made to simulate free range conditions where chickens would normally eat dirt/rocks/sand/etc as they went about their day.

Grit is only needed when you have no dirt runs or do not let your birds free range...its a waste of $$......Oyster shell needs to be given to laying hens free choice 24/7....

they peck off what they need....McGoo

I haven't given my hens oyster shells. I thought that layer feed provided enough calcium.

Back
Top Bottom