oyster shells without having drinking water?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalsRawesome, Nov 6, 2011.

1. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I know it's not good to offer them feed if they don't have water (which mine won't because I plan on locking them up in their coop at night; thier pool is outside and I don't want them making a mess inside), but is it okay to offer them oyster shells at night when they won't have water?
    Thanks!

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say NO...

3. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Okay I know this is off topic....

but...

Ducks need to be fed oyster shell???

5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Quote:Yes, same as chickens. My ducks have been laying solidly now for 6 months and I have found over the past few weeks that if I let the oyster shell run out I quickly get thin shelled eggs. Almost as soon as I top it up again the eggs are back to normal. Obviously my ducks have depleted their calcium reserves and are really relying on the shell grit now. They eat a handful every couple of days between 6 ducks.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    70%cocoa :

Quote:Yes, same as chickens. My ducks have been laying solidly now for 6 months and I have found over the past few weeks that if I let the oyster shell run out I quickly get thin shelled eggs. Almost as soon as I top it up again the eggs are back to normal. Obviously my ducks have depleted their calcium reserves and are really relying on the shell grit now. They eat a handful every couple of days between 6 ducks.

yep I keep Oyster shell out year round. [​IMG]

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I keep oyster shell inside the night run because that is where it stays dry. There is water in the night run, unless the water is frozen, in which case, they don't have any water to go with their oyster shell.

It's not food. The ducks won't eat it unless they need it. So they won't be eating it without water unless they can swallow it OK without water. Ducks can be pretty silly, but they do have some common sense about what they can eat.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. stillmecle

stillmecle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I mix the oyster shell in with their food. If they don't want it, they leave it in the feeder or throw it out. I have their feeder and water container in their run, their house is attached to their run,, which is a dog kennel..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by