1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oyster Shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jesus freak, Aug 21, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Can someone tell me what benifits the oyster shells have for chickens? Thanks:)

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Extra calcium for strong egg shells.

3. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    They're a soluble source of calcium for laying birds. Used to provide the calcium for sturdy shells for birds that free-range or whose diet does not otherwise include enough calcium for that purpose. Generally makes for a healthier layer as they won't be tapping into the calcium in their bones to make shells. Left out for them as free choice, they'll find it and peck at it as their systems need it. They don't go through a lot on an individual basis, so you don't have to keep a lot of it back, but is should be available if you're keeping layers.

It is not a substitute for grit for the gizzard, which should be insoluble -- typically a fine, somewhat sharp gravel of coarse-ground stone.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by