Pa laws on Wood Ducks

tonini3059

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Southwestern PA
I was wondering to what the laws are on keeping a pair of Wood Ducks as pets? What would the laws be if I decided to sell them?
Thanks
Brandy

If they are native to the US and migrate then they are protected and need a permit. I dunno if they are from the US tho?? Maybe not. If they aren't i think they are considered exotics like peacocks? LOL sorry im not much help. cawooduck may know (sure he's in ca but he may have info)!

They are native to the US and they migrate, but I wasn't sure what exactly is required to posses them, i.e. permits and how would we go about getting those permits.

Last edited:
If you purchase them from a permited breeder you will be issued a possesion permit. I believe it is a 9099 permit. But in order to sell ducks,eggs,and chicks you need a different permit. You can not even give away anything without the permit. All offspring that you sell or give away and have to either be banded or toepunched. You have to retain a copie of the possesion permit when you sell them. You will also need to provide the possesion permits when you purchase birds under a sales permits so that they no how many you have. That is just federal. They make it as difficult as possible. But if you want to shoot one they have made that straightforward. Great laws

You will need a federal migratory bird permit if you sell, give away any duck or parts(feathers,eggs).
You also need a permit from the PA game comm to keep them. They are native to PA.

Thanks for the help, I plan on calling the game commission tomorrow and see what they require and what is involved. Also how would l go about getting the permit to sell them. The reason I ask is that I planned on purchasing a pair of split to silver wood ducks, since they are cheaper than silver and hatch out the eggs so I can get a silver pair and maybe sell any extra eggs or chicks. The thing I am not sure about is if I do this will I need a permit for the hatched ducklings? I am so confused, why cant it be easy like chickens.

Quote:
To sell Wood ducks you raised in captivity, you must acquire a Federal Migratory Bird Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit (application form 3-200-9) Last cost I paid was $75 and that lasts five years. You also have to abide by your State laws or the Fed permit is invalid. NY requires an additional permit that is $50 per year. If you google FWS form 3-200-9 you can get the application for the Federal Migratory Bird Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit.

You don't need any type of permit (federal) to keep a captive raised Wood duck as long as it was purchased from a valid FWS Federal Migratory Bird Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit holder and the Wood duck is properly marked. The seller should also give you federal form 3-186 which is your proof that you purchased it legally. On your question about your Wood ducks as pets having ducklings, it is my understanding that you are only required to properly mark them. You cannot sell them, give them away (dead, alive or their eggs) without a FWS Sale and Disposal permit.

If PA requires a permit to keep a Wood duck as a pet that you purchased as stated above, I would think the cost would be minimal. I know they require a permit to sell them.

giffy
----------------

Thank you so much, that is what I was looking for. It is hard to get a straight answer, and it sucks that so much is required for just a simple thing.

Unfortunately when you call your PA game commission don't be surprised if they don't give a straight answer either.
roll.png

I would just ask that if you purchase a pair of Wood ducks from a breeder holding a valid FWS Migratory Sale and Disposal Permit, and you want them only as pets, do you need any state permit?..........and if you wanted to sell them what type of PA permit would you need to purchase?

By the way, the Silver Wood ducks are great looking.

giffy
-----------------

Back
Top Bottom