Packing Peanuts??

Chick_In_The_Burbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Western Washington
Ok, I ordered three EE chicks from MPC and delivery is next week. *CAN'T WAIT!!*
big_smile.png
But going through the posts, I kept running into stories about the extra chicks added for heat. How often does that actually happen? And how likely are they to add extras to mine??? I could keep the chicks for a while but my coop is not legally big enough for more than the three that I ordered. They're coming into Denver, if it makes any difference. Thoughts, experiences???

They usually send them with small orders. I ordered three pullets from Ideal, and they sent me 10 Buff orpington roosters. When were going to butcher them, but my neighbor's dog beat us to it. You can probably sell/ give them away on craigslist.

it's summer. you might not have to worry about packing peanuts because it is so hot. guess it depends where you live. if that hatchery advertises that they can send as few as 3 infants at a time, they must have some other means of keeping heat in the shipping box. i have not ordered from them so i don't know. but a lot of people on here and on other forums i belong to have used them and i don't recall hearing them talk about a lot of peanuts in their order, and when i looked at their website i seem to remember them saying they used another means of keeping heat in there. but you should email them and ask if you're really worried about getting extras. i got about 8 extras in my mcmurray order and i was glad, partly because some of mine died anyway and partly because i'm not a person to turn down free stuff... but if you only want 3 chickens, then obviously you don't have much room so i can understand not wanting too many. i would email your hatchery and ask them specifically so you know what to expect. mcmurray was very good about answering questions and talking to us and not letting on that they were annoyed by us contacting them with questions.

My understanding of MPC is that they don't include packing peanuts - this is why their shipping is so much higher than everyone else. If you're concerned, you could call and ask them whether they're going to include non-requested birds in your order, just click on "Contact Us" and the number is right there.

for a little extra you can pay not to have extra roosters included in your order, (insurance charge I beleive). You do have to send an email to request no extra birds. That's what I did and they arrived just fine, mine came from Ideal though

I have never received any packing peanuts from MPC because they use those heat packs unless they have changed their policy but I don't think you need to worry about it.
Caroline

I ordered 5 and got 14. It was quite a suprise! If the extras are roosters I will have to eat them or sell them on craigslist.

Hi! I ordered from MPC recently. I live in a fairly rural area, so they required that I buy a total of 8 chicks, since I am quite a distance away from a major city/airport. They did not add extra chicks, and there was a small a"gel-filled" type of heater ( kind of llike the hand heaters you can put in your pocket while outdoors in the winter to keep your hands warm) in the small shipping container they came in.
My chicks arrived safe and sound. Idid pick them up within one hour of their arrival at my local P.O. The gel heater was barely lukewarm at that time, so I am glad I got them right away.
They are doing fine, now..I put them under the heat lamp, gave them food and water, and they perked right up.
For small orders or hard to get breeds, I think MPC worked out well.

Back
Top Bottom