packing up the girls

chixmaidservice

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2013
I have the opportunity to move to my dream home on a 5 acre parcel. I am beyond thrilled, but still losing sleep worrying the logistics of relocating my perfect coop and 70+ hens. Can anyone offer advice? I am going to contact a shed moving service for the 8x8x12 foot coop, but will have to take down my hawk netting and remove one side of chain link fence to get them access to the coop. My current half-baked plan is to borrow a friends horse trailer to load the hens into the night before the shed movers come, then roll them into the new place and allow them to use the horse trailer as a coop until the movers can get their old one there... does this seem too crazy?

I have the opportunity to move to my dream home on a 5 acre parcel. I am beyond thrilled, but still losing sleep worrying the logistics of relocating my perfect coop and 70+ hens. Can anyone offer advice? I am going to contact a shed moving service for the 8x8x12 foot coop, but will have to take down my hawk netting and remove one side of chain link fence to get them access to the coop. My current half-baked plan is to borrow a friends horse trailer to load the hens into the night before the shed movers come, then roll them into the new place and allow them to use the horse trailer as a coop until the movers can get their old one there... does this seem too crazy?
No that actually sounds like a really good idea! That's what I'm going to do when we relocate. Getting them at night will cause a lot less stress too.

Good luck with the move and I'm so happy for you :celebrate

That's a great idea!
Just remember to set the trailer up with some roosts, bedding, e.t.c and of course, food and water.
I always plan for things to go wrong/take longer than we thought, especially with animals - better to just be prepared.

And definitely catch them at night! And don't turn on lights, or they'll start walking around.

I hope you have help - picking up and moving 70 chickens will take you a while!
I recently moved my 33 pretty much by myself (hubby hurt his back) and it took quite a while to get them all, even though none of them were moving LOL.

Good luck! Enjoy your new digs!

@chixmaidservice I also wonders how big and what type of horse trailer.
Crowding could be an issue, especially if they are in there for long.
Ventilation is also a concern, depending n climate and weather.
How far will you have to travel?

@chixmaidservice I also wonders how big and what type of horse trailer.
Crowding could be an issue, especially if they are in there for long.
Ventilation is also a concern, depending n climate and weather.
How far will you have to travel?
Thanks for your questions, my new home will be w/in 20 min drive of current one and I am hoping to borrow a 4 horse stock trailer so space should be about equal to their normal coop. I want to have the fence mostly installed so as soon as they get to the new place they will get to start exploring the new pasture and will not be confined to the trailer for any longer than they would normally be in the coop overnight. keep your fingers crossed for me and I will update on how it all works. PS. We are still in the buying process, so the actual move will happen closer to Christmas probably

20 mins slow roads or highway?
Best of Luck!

What's the climate like where you are?
I will take slow roads as I have never hauled chix before ( just horses) and I am in the Midwest so will probably be doing all this in a raging blizzard, lol.

Back
Top Bottom