Paco the Anxious Peacock

MooMa

In the Brooder
May 28, 2019
I have recently acquired a 3 year old India peacock named Paco. I currently have him penned in an empty corn crib so he didn't take off into the wild like a pair from my first set did. I have Paco penned with Penelope, a mature India female, for company. They have been together for almost 3 weeks now and anytime I get near the pen he starts pacing back and forth on the opposite side as far away from me as possible. I was hoping he would have settled down by now because I eventually want him to free range. Is it just the cage causing Paco to be so anxious or is he still adjusting to the new environment? I'm afraid if I let him out he will take off into the wild. I have a different mature India male named Peter that is free range and he has been fanning out to Penelope, the female in the pen with Paco. Should I let just her out to be with Peter and leave Paco alone to adjust by himself? Or should I just keep things the way they are and hope he calms down soon?

A mature bird like him I would keep pinned for six to nine weeks. I would also sit in the pen and hang out with him offering treats. When you do let him out don't push him out, let him find his way out and do it late afternoon and only feed him in the pen.

What do you suggest I do with Penelope, the female that's in the pen with Paco? I know this is mating season and she's gonna want to start nesting soon. However, if she is more interested in Peter the free ranging male, will she not even try mating with with Paco her pen mate?

Back
Top Bottom